Laptop Recommendations

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Laptop Recommendations

Post by Zarathud »

My wife is looking for a new business laptop, and the kids will want to repurpose it to play co-op Minecraft, Starbound, Stardew Valley and LEGO games. Basically, a portable laptop that can do light gaming.

I'm hoping to spend under $500 so my budget can squeeze in a video card upgrade for me. Any recommendations?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Re: Laptop Recommendations

Post by Zarathud »

There's a $600 Acer Aspire E5-575G-527J 15.6" Laptop; Intel Core i5-7200U Processor 2.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M; 8GB DDR4 RAM; 256GB Solid State Drive.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jag

Post by Jag »

I use my work Surface 4 for some high end gaming, but the Surface 3 is around $600. Best piece of hardware I've owned. About the size and weight of an ipad. Replaced my work desktop and I don't even notice that I'm on a laptop (using a KBM hub).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anything but HP. Always heard good things about Lenovo.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jag wrote:I use my work Surface 4 for some high end gaming, but the Surface 3 is around $600. Best piece of hardware I've owned. About the size and weight of an ipad. Replaced my work desktop and I don't even notice that I'm on a laptop (using a KBM hub).
I also use a Surface Pro 3 as my workstation in the office, and love the portability. Going between home and 4 work sites, it's a must. I've not tried gaming on it, though.

My wife's had a Surface Pro 3 for some time now (I think the original sticker was $1200) and she loves that as well.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife got a great deal on a Toshiba at Staples a year or so ago. It's been a very good laptop. Nominally priced at $850, she got it for under $500 with her trade-in.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I burned up my Toshiba, bought my Dell XPS, and it's still running great.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
mikawatson

Post by mikawatson »

You batter not spam our forum anymore.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Apparently, there's a discount on 7th gen Intel CPU based laptops, with NVIDIA 1050M or 1060M for less than 700 if you look for them.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds