Newegg now owned by Chinese

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.techpowerup.com/226777/newe ... se-company

Well shit...that leaves me only Amazon to buy from.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Re: Newegg now owned by Chinese

Post by gilraen »

Unless you're opposed to buying from Chinese-owned company in principle - what does it matter who owns them? Most of what they sell is already made in China ;)

Although I can see that if you ever run into an issue, customer service will probably be non-existent.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

for some reason i thought newegg.com was founded by the original people behind Egghead Software. wikipedia tells me i'm wrong. why did i think this in the first place?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Eggs?

I expect them to change things at Newegg. Just me maybe,.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I couldn't care less that they were bought by China. I'd be a little nervous regardless of who bought them, though. Newegg has been a go-to for me for at least thirteen or fourteen years because of their business practices. I'm a little worried that new ownership could mean a change to a more profitable, but less friendly approach.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Blackhawk wrote:I couldn't care less that they were bought by China. I'd be a little nervous regardless of who bought them, though. Newegg has been a go-to for me for at least thirteen or fourteen years because of their business practices. I'm a little worried that new ownership could mean a change to a more profitable, but less friendly approach.
From the article:
As always, in the wake of this acquisition, changes are expected in Newegg's overall structure, in either its organization, personnel, business, financial and/or management fields.
So it will probably take some time, but I am keeping a weather eye out on them. I'm probably going to be building a new workstation for myself in the next six months or so and I've usually bought a good amount of my parts from them. It would be disappointing to see the service I've received in the past no longer be there.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote:for some reason i thought newegg.com was founded by the original people behind Egghead Software. wikipedia tells me i'm wrong. why did i think this in the first place?
I had thought the same thing. I guess we put all our eggs in the same basket.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Well farts.

I don't specifically care who owns them, I only care that the business will be altered and I'll become uninterested in doing business with them - or at least I'll be ranking them among the masses of other businesses I could care less about. Newegg has a special place as the online store where I first bought all the parts and built my own computer from scratch, and it wasn't just a Frankenstein's monster of bits and pieces I salvaged here or there.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Newegg has had close ties to China for as long as I can remember. Their house brand, Rosewill, is Chinese in origin as far as I know.

As far as them changing, well it wouldn't surprise me but not because it's Chinese owned. Lots of businesses change after they've achieved a certain amount of success. It's a bummer, but it happens. Once you're established you don't have to work as hard to make each customer happy, so there's a temptation to slack off.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I haven't made many computer purchases lately but i use Newegg when i do since they have a warehouse reasonably close to me where i can pick up items. Hopefully that will remain the case.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, the comments at the end of the article are telling. Looks like they sold at just the right time.

Lots of nostalgia for that site, though. For the way they were at least.

Free tip for some enterprising, foolish soul: Name your startup hardware site "Oldegg" and watch those that still build or modify PC's flock to your site.

I can't imagine a more difficult sector to try to compete in, not to mention start in at this late date. I guess you could go uber niche and focus on quality custom builds, "assembled and owned in USA", and top notch customer svc. No way to compete on price anymore.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:I'm a little worried that new ownership could mean a change to a more profitable, but less friendly approach.
IIRC, the alternative was an IPO which wouldn't have been much better. Guessing that the current IPO aversion in the markets led to this sale.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
DD*

Post by DD* »

Kraken wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:for some reason i thought newegg.com was founded by the original people behind Egghead Software. wikipedia tells me i'm wrong. why did i think this in the first place?
I had thought the same thing. I guess we put all our eggs in the same basket.

Me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg