Component Suggestions

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dobberhd

Component Suggestions

Post by dobberhd »

It has been six years and I got the go ahead to put together another computer. Any suggestions for a budget of about 650? I'd need a monitor too, since my kids will be inheriting my old monitor and computer.

I've built my own in the past and I've always assumed that it is cheaper that way. Is that still the case?

I see a 32 in monitor for 200 on Amazon that is 1080, is that too big for that resolution? I think it would be nice to play Civ 6 on something that big. I also have a recliner five feet from my desk so it might be nice to use the steam controller from a few feet away for some games. But if the resolution is too big for close sitting, I'd probably go smaller and cheaper.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
Blackhawk

Re: Component Suggestions

Post by Blackhawk »

I would start here.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I prefer the recommendations from the PCPer Hardware Leaderboard. They've been absolutely rock-solid in my experience.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like a good place to start.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think for monitors you'd want to go 1080p in 24" or less size. If you need a larger monitor than that, maybe go 1440p. In that price range I don't think 4k is viable. Of course your eyesight has an impact, maybe you want large pixels, higher resolution means everything will look smaller. Then again you can change settings to make things larger, but that kind of defeats the purpose.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Well, here's what I went with. A bit over budget at $1300. :)

27" Asus Monitor
i7 6700K
MSI Motherboard
GTX 1060
Crucial Case and 430 W PS
Blu-Ray
32 GB Ram
750 GB SSD (I have a 1 GB drive sitting around to supplement.)

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Assembly starts Monday.