Acer PCs...good, bad, other?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Acer PCs...good, bad, other?

Post by Skinypupy »

Been casually looking at a possible PC upgrade, and this one was in the Costco ad that came in the mail today. Looks like a pretty good deal, compared to equivalent systems elsewhere.

Anyone had any experience with Acer PC's? I've only used their other hardware (projectors, monitors, etc.), but never heard anything about their systems.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Re: Acer PCs...good, bad, other?

Post by hitbyambulance »

my first Pentium desktop PC was one. (original Pentium with floating point error.) within a week something went wrong andit stopped working. it was exchanged with a Packard Bell that never died, but i hated that machine... maybe because i was stuck with it for four years (an eternity in the mid 90s). so haven't purchased anything Acer since.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Bad, as I recall. Check Techbargains for deals.

I've also had better luck using Costco's online computer store
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You have to be careful to what you are comparing it to. You might find one for $300 that has some specs found in better brand's $600 machine, but it should be compared with what the other brand sells in that price range ($300) and not compare it directly to the more expensive machine in which it would be sorely lacking.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jeff V wrote:You have to be careful to what you are comparing it to. You might find one for $300 that has some specs found in better brand's $600 machine, but it should be compared with what the other brand sells in that price range ($300) and not compare it directly to the more expensive machine in which it would be sorely lacking.
I was looking at the specs for a basis of comparison. The two I linked looked pretty much identical, from what I could see.

That being said, I'm not nearly as PC-literate as I once was, so maybe there's something significant one has that the other doesn't.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.