Why is my media hard drive so active?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Why is my media hard drive so active?

Post by AWS260 »

Over the past couple of weeks, the hard drive where I keep photos/videos/music has been much more active than usual. I use an SSD for the OS and all programs, so the media hard drive is typically silent. But now I frequently hear it, and during games it causes noticeable slowdown. A game of Battlefield 1 earlier tonight was practically unable because of this.

None of this was an issue just a few weeks ago. Any ideas on how I could diagnose the issue? I'm on WIndows 10, FWIW.
Pyperkub

Re: Why is my media hard drive so active?

Post by Pyperkub »

Indexing?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

There's a nifty little freeware utility you can use, called 'What’s My Computer Doing?' that makes it simple and easy to figure out exactly what program(s) are accessing your HD.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I like that. Sometimes my hard drive works overtime when I'm not doing much of anything. I figure it's defragging or something. Will be nice to figure out what.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Thanks, AB. Just sent the link to my little brother who has been known to get all paranoid when his hard-drive is accessing away when "nothing should be going on". Think I finally have him convinced there's no such time but maybe this might help the next time he's convinced someone is on him machine stealing all his crap. :ninja:
-mf
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Thanks, AB. I'll give that a try tonight.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Do you have a pagefile setup on the HDD for some reason? Windows 8/10 would disable one on an SSD (like your OS drive) by default. If you have upgraded the OS (e.g. from Win7 to WIN10), maybe you have an old one on there that is getting used under certain conditions?
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Do you have a pagefile setup on the HDD for some reason? Windows 8/10 would disable one on an SSD (like your OS drive) by default. If you have upgraded the OS (e.g. from Win7 to WIN10), maybe you have an old one on there that is getting used under certain conditions?
The pagefile was disabled on my OS drive, but enabled on my HDD. I turned it off on the HDD, and enabled a modest-sized pagefile on the SSD. Will see if that makes a difference.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Or just disable it entirely.. Windows 10 does very well without one most of the time.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just an FYI, but it could also be a sign of upcoming drive failure. Make sure you have a backup of everything that is important.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

On that note, if it is a SMART drive you could check the statistics on it and see if there was anything to worry about.
-mf
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

MonkeyFinger wrote:On that note, if it is a SMART drive you could check the statistics on it and see if there was anything to worry about.
you can search for Seagate Seatools. It does a good job of testing the harddrive.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us