limit Win10 Guest Account to browser

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

limit Win10 Guest Account to browser

Post by Moliere »

Every site I search seems to be saying that you can't restrict a Guest account to just the web browser because it doesn't come up on the default list of Apps to choose as the single app the user can use. Any suggestions on how to limit a guest account to only browse the internet? I don't want them to have access to the files or other programs on the computer.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jeff V

Re: limit Win10 Guest Account to browser

Post by Jeff V »

Moliere wrote:Every site I search seems to be saying that you can't restrict a Guest account to just the web browser because it doesn't come up on the default list of Apps to choose as the single app the user can use. Any suggestions on how to limit a guest account to only browse the internet? I don't want them to have access to the files or other programs on the computer.
What if you install a 3rd party browser?
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jeff V wrote:
Moliere wrote:Every site I search seems to be saying that you can't restrict a Guest account to just the web browser because it doesn't come up on the default list of Apps to choose as the single app the user can use. Any suggestions on how to limit a guest account to only browse the internet? I don't want them to have access to the files or other programs on the computer.
What if you install a 3rd party browser?
Only Windows apps show up. Chrome, as an example, doesn't appear on the list of available apps to limit the user. It's strange that with Win10 you can only set the limit to a single pre-determined program.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I know this doesn't sound helpful but if you don't trust the guest user with computer access and they only need to browser it might be infinity easier to just buy a cheap laptop and let them brick that. I had to do that with my stepson. Its amazing the Trojan horse and malware he can install in an weekend.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Scoop20906 wrote:I know this doesn't sound helpful but if you don't trust the guest user with computer access and they only need to browser it might be infinity easier to just buy a cheap laptop and let them brick that. I had to do that with my stepson. Its amazing the Trojan horse and malware he can install in an weekend.
I have two reasons: 1) giving easy access to others to do basic web browsing without them messing up the computer. I would also us a Chrome app for white listing websites to minimize the chance of Trojans and malware. 2) I have an app installed that tracks my laptop. If someone steals it then I want them connected to the internet so I can track them down. :ninja:
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Moliere wrote:1) giving easy access to others to do basic web browsing without them messing up the computer. I would also us a Chrome app for white listing websites to minimize the chance of Trojans and malware.
So just get a Chromebook that they can use while in your house?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

gilraen wrote:
Moliere wrote:1) giving easy access to others to do basic web browsing without them messing up the computer. I would also us a Chrome app for white listing websites to minimize the chance of Trojans and malware.
So just get a Chromebook that they can use while in your house?
Should I PM you my address so you can mail me one? I don't want to deal with buying more machines.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kiosk Mode is what you're after.

If your users aren't particularly tech-savvy, you could perhaps get away with simply running Chrome in Kiosk Mode. However, as that write-up points out, it won't provide true security against a knowledgeable user. But if it's just intended for friends or family, it could be sufficient to restrict them from causing too much trouble.

For true security, consider using Linux to create a Kiosk Computer.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:Kiosk Mode is what you're after.
Kiosk mode is not available in Win 10 Home version (unless Moliere is running Pro or higher? I didn't see it mentioned)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

gilraen wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:Kiosk Mode is what you're after.
Kiosk mode is not available in Win 10 Home version (unless Moliere is running Pro or higher? I didn't see it mentioned)
Indeed, if you're talking about locking things down at the OS-level. However, Chrome's Kiosk Mode still ought to work, though it's obviously more of a kludge that does not provide true security (still, if his intended users are just friends/family that he knows are not tech-savvy, it could be sufficient). Hence my suggestion of using Linux if a true secure solution is needed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I haven't tested it, but have you seen this article? The DisallowRun key is still a valid key in 10, so I would think it would work the same way as in 7.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

gbasden wrote:I haven't tested it, but have you seen this article? The DisallowRun key is still a valid key in 10, so I would think it would work the same way as in 7.
That worked! Thanks.