iTunes complaint and search for replacement

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grundbegriff

iTunes complaint and search for replacement

Post by Grundbegriff »

Is it just me? Or is iTunes terrible?

My needs are simple. I have an iPod Nano, and I use a Windows laptop. I want to be able to do the following:

(a)
Given an existing podcast (e.g., History of Rome, History of the English Language, History of Philosophy), I would like to subscribe, download them a few at a time in chronological order, and keep them on the Nano until I listen to them.

(b)
Given a daily podcast, (e.g., a daily news broadcast), I would like to subscribe, configure to keep the most recent N episodes on the Nano, and not have the software interrupt this freshening if I haven't listened to it in a while.

In my view, that's not too much to ask. But I find that if I have a daily podcast and neglect it for a while, and then decide to pay it some attention, iTunes has stopped bothering to download it at some point, say a few weeks prior, because it knows better than I do what my priorities are. And I find that no combination of configuration settings (e.g., "oldest first", keep 5, ...) on the podcast configuration screens in iTunes will achieve (a) for me; iTunes really, really wants me to listen latest first.

Help? Is there some software other than iTunes that is generally understood to be much better? Am I missing the boat? If so, what's the boat?
razgon

Re: iTunes complaint and search for replacement

Post by razgon »

For podcasts you will want pocket cast which does exactly what you want. It's a 10 dollar one time purchase though, on EACH platform. Mobile and browser, but it's the best.
Gone...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Grundbegriff wrote: is iTunes terrible?
If you expect answers, you shouldn't begin with a rhetorical question.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Great hardware, though!

Post by The Meal »

iTunes is terrible. iTunes handling podcasts is even more shameful (somehow).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am part of the group that thinks iTunes is terrible. I don't listen to podcasts (driving a car from 2003 with no audio input for modern technology is so retro) so I missed out on the announcement that Amazon Prime members can get podcasts (or whatever they're calling it) and audio books from Audible. I don't know if this provides a better solution in any capacity, so if you didn't know about it (and are a Prime member), I figured I'd mention it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

I also don't like iTunes - so thanks for the heads up on Audible!

I manage my podcasts manually. I don't let iTunes sync anything - I go in and download new podcasts once a week and transfer them to my MP3 player. It's a pain, but I don't lose anything this way.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:I manage my podcasts manually.
This, and I do it on my phone, so I don't end up using iTunes (the app) at all. This of course doesn't help Grund, who is trying to get stuff on a Nano.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

What about Media Monkey? I've used it in the past and it seemed to be a pretty complete suite, it also has a "Podcatcher" for automatically handling the downloading and syncing of those. All that in the free version.
-mf
Enough

Post by Enough »

razgon wrote:For podcasts you will want pocket cast which does exactly what you want. It's a 10 dollar one time purchase though, on EACH platform. Mobile and browser, but it's the best.
I love Pocketcasts! And good news, on Android at least it's only $3.99. I have recently really gotten into the chromecast feature so I can very easily send the podcast to the big speakers when I am doing stuff around the house.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell