Corporate espionage is still a thing

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Corporate espionage is still a thing

Post by Isgrimnur »

Endgadget
While CES 2017 has drawn to a close, news surrounding the products unveiled at the world's biggest consumer tech event continue to make the headlines. Take Razer, which had a very encouraging week after unveiling two new gaming prototypes (one of which won two Best of CES 2017 awards). However, things ended on a sour note after company CEO Min-Liang Tan confirmed that two of its concept products were stolen from its booth on the last day of the show.
Surprisingly, it's not the first time that it has been victim to sticky-fingered opportunists. In 2011, two experimental Blade prototypes were stolen from Razer R&D lab in San Francisco. Tan has also refused to rule out corporate spying: "We treat theft/larceny, and if relevant to this case, industrial espionage, very seriously – it is cheating, and cheating doesn't sit well with us. Penalties for such crimes are grievous and anyone who would do this clearly isn't very smart."
It turns out that the stolen equipment was a pair of Razer's Project Valerie laptop prototypes
Based on the company's Blade Pro gaming laptop, Project Valerie dons not just one, but three 4K screens for the ultimate immersive wide-screen gaming experience.
Once in position, they form a complete 180 degrees of viewing space and use Nvidia's Surround View technology to spread a single image across multiple screens.

While Razer hasn't given away details of CPU, GPU or memory, it has said Project Valerie is powerful enough to run HTC Vive and Oculus Rift VR headsets, meaning you don't have to be shackled to a PC at home.

While Projector Valerie is just a prototype, you can register your details to receive any new announcements, suggesting Razer plans to put it into full production. We're not sure when it may make the light of day, but don't expect it to come cheap when it does.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Re: Corporate espionage is still a thing

Post by Paingod »

Maybe it's just me - but isn't a "laptop" with triple screens kind of a dick thing?

Use it on a plane? Use it in a school? Everyone would hate you.

Where would you use it where you couldn't previously use a triple-screened desktop? Maybe a hotel room on a business trip or something - but then ... you've got pay-per-view pr0n.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

With a triple-screen laptop, who needs PPV?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Paingod wrote:Maybe it's just me - but isn't a "laptop" with triple screens kind of a dick thing?

Where would you use it where you couldn't previously use a triple-screened desktop? Maybe a hotel room on a business trip or something - but then ... you've got pay-per-view pr0n.
Lots of millenials/young(er) people don't bother with desktop computers at home - they only have laptops for everything (especially if they live in small apartments or rent a room where dedicating space to a computer desk is impractical).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

gilraen wrote:
Paingod wrote:Maybe it's just me - but isn't a "laptop" with triple screens kind of a dick thing?

Lots of millenials/young(er) people don't bother with desktop computers at home - they only have laptops for everything (especially if they live in small apartments or rent a room where dedicating space to a computer desk is impractical).
Sadly I'm going this way too. Space is at too much of a premium to justify a full desktop PC. Fittingly, my only complaint right now is being limited to one screen.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Well, shit. I'm a dinosaur now.

I didn't think that would happen for at least another 20 years. Time to get the lawn chair out, I guess.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Fittingly, my only complaint right now is being limited to one screen.
Why limited? I use a 27" display in tandem with the 17" laptop display. I can play Civ 6 on the big screen while watching the morning news on the little one.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Fittingly, my only complaint right now is being limited to one screen.
Why limited? I use a 27" display in tandem with the 17" laptop display. I can play Civ 6 on the big screen while watching the morning news on the little one.
Because I don't want to carry a 27" monitor from room to room. I gave up my office so I game at the kitchen table or couch or or deck or small desk in the bedroom.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ah, ok. I thought you were referring to a physical limitation and not by choice.

I did the same when the first kid was born, except I did setup my 27" screen on the kitchen table.
Black Lives Matter