Companies that assemble mobo & cpu?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Bad Demographic

Companies that assemble mobo & cpu?

Post by Bad Demographic »

Do any of you know of any companies that, if you buy a motherboard & cpu from them, they will assemble and test it for you?
Mwave used to but apparently no longer. While I can do it, I don't really like to.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Re: Companies that assemble mobo & cpu?

Post by wonderpug »

If you don't get any leads in the thread, come drive up to Albuquerque and I'd be happy to do the assembly for you. Come on a Saturday and stay for board game night!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

You mean literally just the mobo and cpu? This rather than some kind of minimalist PC that you flesh out at home?
-mf
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Are you talking about for free?
If so, then sorry no...
If paid, then Microcenter will do it plus any mom and pops you find.

and by assemble and test do you just mean put the cpu in the motherboard and test or install in the case and test?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Bad Demographic

CPU onto motherbord, heatsink onto CPU. 24 hr burn in - assuming that still is done.
I have no problem doing the rest - RAM etc. onto mobo, mobo into case, etc.
And yes, I expect to pay for the service. MWave used to do this for a small fee ($25?)

I'll check out Microcenter and some local places. (thanks, Punisher).
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Definitely check the more local computer shops, esp. the "Chinese" ones. In San Francisco there were a couple.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

so, i'm confused.. If you are ready and capable to put MB in case, Why cant you assemble the CPU/heatsink?
As for burn in, I haven't done a burn-in in well over a decade..
Bad Demographic

Punisher wrote:so, i'm confused.. If you are ready and capable to put MB in case, Why cant you assemble the CPU/heatsink?
It makes me very nervous - I know, doesn't make much sense.

Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Bad Demographic wrote:
Punisher wrote:so, i'm confused.. If you are ready and capable to put MB in case, Why cant you assemble the CPU/heatsink?
When you go to microcenter, you might want to ask them the cost of full assembly to save time. might be right around the same price.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Punisher wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:
When you go to microcenter, you might want to ask them the cost of full assembly to save time. might be right around the same price.
Microcenter once tried to charge me $75 to install a $20 DVD drive (no, I didn't ask them to do that, it was what they determined was needed to fix a problem that ultimately had nothing to do with the DVD drive). I think $75 was their minimum fee for simply touching the machine. Perhaps it's less if you buy the components from them.
Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Punisher wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:
Probably good advice except that the nearest microcenter is something like a day and a half away. But I will check the same thing locally.

Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Bad Demographic wrote:
Punisher wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:
Probably good advice except that the nearest microcenter is something like a day and a half away. But I will check the same thing locally.
Drive faster?
Bad Demographic

Okay - really dumb question: do you usually have to buy a heatsink separately from the cpu? My stuff from Mwave is coming in multiple boxes and although the cpu has arrived, I haven't seen a heatsink yet. I don't remember having to buy a heatsink in the past but, then, we are talking about the most recent cpu purchase being five years ago.

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My vague recollection is "yes". Though there may be bundles that include the heat sink with the processor. It is definitely possible to buy just the processor though. I think the OEM versions were usually sans heat sink.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm... I looked at Newegg. Most of the processors look like they don't come with a fan. But it's really hard to tell. There certainly isn't any mention.

So I looked at Amazon. Looked the same. But I did see this on one example I looked at:
Style: FX-6300 with stock fan
I'm not sure how you'd be able to tell unless they specifically mentioned it.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Bad Demographic wrote:Okay - really dumb question: do you usually have to buy a heatsink separately from the cpu? My stuff from Mwave is coming in multiple boxes and although the cpu has arrived, I haven't seen a heatsink yet. I don't remember having to buy a heatsink in the past but, then, we are talking about the most recent cpu purchase being five years ago.
It used to be that they almost always came with a fan so people wouldn't choose the wrong one and destroy their CPU.

I think it's two things, cost cutting and packaging. And since most people nowdays buying a CPU separately buy their own fan anyway, it doesn't really affect sales.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

TheMix wrote:Hmmm... I looked at Newegg. Most of the processors look like they don't come with a fan. But it's really hard to tell. There certainly isn't any mention.

So I looked at Amazon. Looked the same. But I did see this on one example I looked at:
For Intel processors with the "k" designation (7700k, 6600k, etc) are unlocked for overclocking and don't come with a heatsink/fan. They know that the cooling they provide for their locked down versions are inadequate to handle the extra heat.

BD, if you can wait until March, AMD's new Ryzen chip will be released to the market. The chip impressed a lot of hardware folks at CES in January and people expect it force Intel's hand in lowering their prices.
Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Biyobi wrote:
TheMix wrote:Hmmm... I looked at Newegg. Most of the processors look like they don't come with a fan. But it's really hard to tell. There certainly isn't any mention.

For Intel processors with the "k" designation (7700k, 6600k, etc) are unlocked for overclocking and don't come with a heatsink/fan. They know that the cooling they provide for their locked down versions are inadequate to handle the extra heat.

BD, if you can wait until March, AMD's new Ryzen chip will be released to the market. The chip impressed a lot of hardware folks at CES in January and people expect it force Intel's hand in lowering their prices.
Rats - I didn't know that. I've already bought the cpu.

Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Generally "OEM" means no fan, "Retail" means fan and heatsink included.