Basic laptop recommendations or offers needed

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Basic laptop recommendations or offers needed

Post by Blackhawk »

Due to the way I've got my house set up, I can no longer move my regular PC around the way I need to (my monitor is on an arm rather than a stand, so it is bolted to the desk.) I use it all the time for running RPGs. So, what I'd like is a very basic laptop. I don't need to be able to game on it. What I need it to be able to do is:

~Run basic audio software (audio players and such)
~Browse multiple .pdf documents simultaneously without lage
~Browse the internet
~Display images
~Have an HDMI or DisplayPort output so I can use my TV as a second monitor

All at the same time. That isn't a ton. I would need it to run a standard OS, as some of the software I run is Windows-only.

This isn't anything I can afford now, but I may be getting a one-time payment in a couple of months, and not having something I can move around is causing me some problems.

So, what is the cheapest I'm looking at? Or does anyone have an old one that would do what I need that they'd be willing to sell? Like I said, this is in a couple of months, and is dependent on not getting any unexpected expenses to eat up that money in the meantime.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Re: Basic laptop recommendations or offers needed

Post by gilraen »

Not sure what your price range is, but Woot has refurbished laptops starting from starting just over $200. I'm guessing those are returns from business leases.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Or check out the Dell Outlet options.

I doubt you are going to find cheaper than those options.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, that at least gives me a place to start. I've never owned a laptop, so I don't know much about them.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

one option is to let me know about the time you are ready to buy - Seattle Craigslist is **flooded** with old computers, and many people are willing to sell for very cheap. i would be willing to facilitate a sale here if you found something good, then have it shipped to you after i checked it out.

(some examples: i just saw an HP Pavilion that was going for $25 because the USB ports no longer worked. and for another: "It is $40 because 4 of the letter keys don't work. Might be an easy fix, I don't know. You could even plug in an external keyboard and use it that way." another is an Acer Aspire that's missing the hard drive for $50. and a Dell Latitude that didn't appear to have anything wrong with it for $60. looking now, there are many working machines with dead batteries starting at $50.)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/se ... n_price=20
Tao

Post by Tao »

Have you considered one of the new mini PC's. The gaming boxes can get a little pricey, $500-$600 range but there are a number of budget options for around $200 that might meet your basic browsing, audio needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i3 ... 015P3SL3Y/
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a line on a laptop right now that should do the trick. One of the reasons that I want a laptop is the portability. It'll mainly serve two roles:

1) Pen and paper games. These take place in the middle of the living room, and moving computers around to make it work is a huge pain in the ass (monitor cables, second monitor cable to the TV, disconnecting wireless input from other places to use, dragging the monitor to the table, etc.) With a laptop I'll be able to run one cable from the laptop to the TV, and can just use the laptop as if it were part of my screen, something that didn't really work with the monitor (due to it being elevated.)

2) Miniature painting. I reference art and resources all the time while I'm painting. Since I gave the PC I had in the bedroom to the kids, I've had to make due with squinting at my phone. Being able to set up art references next to my painting table would be wonderful. It would also be nice to throw on something like Critical Role while I'm painting.

Since I don't have an extra monitor, a mini-PC would be as expensive as laptop, and wouldn't work as well.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

the cheap laptop I got from Amazon didn't work out that well.
Computer Upgrade King is the seller, and it came with so much bloatware, it was nearly useless. I spent many many hours removing crap until it was usable.
That appears to be really common among the cheaper machines, full of reviews of needing to remove bloatware.

Here is some advice that appears to be pretty good, and is only a few months old

They recommend this one
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Naked URLs are likely (read: definitely) to be eaten by the forum software.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jaymon wrote:the cheap laptop I got from Amazon didn't work out that well.
Computer Upgrade King is the seller, and it came with so much bloatware, it was nearly useless. I spent many many hours removing crap until it was usable.
Don't forget, for a situation such as this, the PC Decrapifier is your friend:
About

The PC Decrapifier is a program designed to suggest and remove unwanted software. It can be used to clean off most of the annoying software that is typically shipped with new PCs.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote:I have a line on a laptop right now that should do the trick.
This worked out. I've spent a good bit of the last couple of days setting up and tweaking it for my (rather specialized) needs.