For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zenn7

Re: This a good PC?

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:Stuff settles in shipping. Have you verified that the auxiliary PCI-E power (6/8 pin) is connected to the video card AND that any auxiliary power is connected to the MB? According to the online specs of that TUF Z720 motherboard it has both the normal 24-pin power connector and an 8-pin ATX power:

1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
The card has an 8 pin connector. It has to be plugged into the board to be recognized at all doesn't it? When I plugged the HDMI cable in and unplugged it, it tries to send signal to the monitor (according to the monitor). It just never works.
Yes, there is one that plugs into the video card. But have you also verified the (other) 8-pin 12v power cable that should be plugged into the motherboard itself (in addition to the big-ass 24-pin power connector.)
I have not looked for MB connecting power cables. Will try that.

Thanks for all the advice peeps!
Assuming I have correctly identified them, yes, both MB power connectors are securely plugged in.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-Z270-MARK-2/

24 pin is on the far right (opposite end of the board from the back side external connections). 8 pin is top, left, partially covered by the framework for the external connectors so that you only see the top 3 and bottom 2 holes.

Nothing else on MB looks like where a power connector would go.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Found an old video card in another PC - which was good, they wanted me to swap the video card with an old one. If I could verify the slot worked, they'll replace the card. If it still didn't work, they wanted me to send the whole PC back (so that's good).

The old card was a PCI card/slot, not sure how that varies from the PCIe card, but it fit the same. And it worked. Let them know, expecting them to do a RMA for the card now.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

you could have almost put together your own machine for this effort

;)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

hitbyambulance wrote:you could have almost put together your own machine for this effort

;)
Easier to deal w/ 1 company and their tech support? Sides, I'm not personally comfortable with CPU's and attaching things w/ glue or however you put the fans/heat sinks/whatever down.

(and... it really was supposed to be easier...)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

They give me a RMA for the card.

They want me to ship it back at my expense, making sure I package it appropriately for shipping so it will not get damaged. They are covering it under Warranty.

This is a brand new PC with a brand new video card that arrived defective. This does not seem right. They should be paying for the shipping. Since it came installed in the PC, I have no appropriate packing material to package it in to ship it back to them.

I was OK dealing with the problem, but I am not OK with this solution. Will look into this a little and write back about my concerns. Anyone have any experience dealing w/ custom PC places like this with new PC issues? Not something that worked, than later broke - something that arrived broken.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

What is postage? Maybe you can get a refund or upgrade on the card.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Zenn7 wrote:They give me a RMA for the card.

They want me to ship it back at my expense, making sure I package it appropriately for shipping so it will not get damaged. They are covering it under Warranty.

This is a brand new PC with a brand new video card that arrived defective. This does not seem right. They should be paying for the shipping. Since it came installed in the PC, I have no appropriate packing material to package it in to ship it back to them.

I was OK dealing with the problem, but I am not OK with this solution. Will look into this a little and write back about my concerns. Anyone have any experience dealing w/ custom PC places like this with new PC issues? Not something that worked, than later broke - something that arrived broken.
you absolutely should not be paying return postage, unless that is explicitly posted on their website or in the purchase agreement.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think thats a shitty way to do business. But thats me.

In their warranty it states in the first part..
Should the Product(s) supplied by Company prove defective by reason of improper workmanship or material as reasonably determined by Company, Company agrees, at its option, to either repair or replace the Product free of charge, excluding any shipping or handling charges.
So you basically have to pay for shipping 2 or 3 times or more.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Not sure how much shipping will be. Just found out this was the plan late yesterday and no idea how to package the card securely. It came installed in the PC, so no suitable packing for returning just the card.

Emailed them back asking how to pack it up and confirming that this is not a "it worked, is now broken, I'm looking for warranty service", this is a "it arrived broken" situation, didn't think I should need to pay in that circumstance.

Reading their forum leads me to 2 things:

1 - if you ever want to order from them, post your build on their form. They have a lot of feedback from senior members to make sure you do not get bad parts, possibly get a better build and make sure you don't miss any discounts. They are adamant about not using the default power supplies! (I didn't). Apparently these are known to have issues and cause systems to get fried after a couple years.

2 - Customer Services and Quality Control are known low points (according to said senior forum members who generally seem to be supporters of the place and try to encourage you to shop there, not driving you away). Many horror stories (which does not necessarily mean much, you hear far more from the unhappy people than the happy ones - though they did have a couple happy people too).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

The person helping me with the tech support says can't help with the shipping, that's their policy, I have to pay shipping on return parts.

But they can send me the card in advance (I have to give them credit card authorization to place a hold on my credit card for the value of the video card, to be removed when they receive the defective card). Then I will have their packaging and return label to ship the bad card back. Return label isn't a big deal, but the packaging is helpful. Asked him to set that up, see how this goes.

Might ask the person who emailed me the PC status for compensation/assistance if I find out the shipping is going to be significant (more than $5-10). Less than that, not thinking it's worth the hassle.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Policy or not, that's bullshit. As you noted, this is not a warranty issue. This is a product that never worked.

I'd have a hard time telling them not to shove it. Tell them I'm calling my CC to do a charge back since they failed to deliver a working product. Tell them the paperweight will be sitting on the front porch; they are welcome to stop by and get it.

Additionally, I would definitely put a complaint up on BBB.

Now I'm starting to regret that I just placed an order with them.

:hawk:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

TheMix wrote:Policy or not, that's bullshit. As you noted, this is not a warranty issue. This is a product that never worked.

I'd have a hard time telling them not to shove it. Tell them I'm calling my CC to do a charge back since they failed to deliver a working product. Tell them the paperweight will be sitting on the front porch; they are welcome to stop by and get it.

Additionally, I would definitely put a complaint up on BBB.

Now I'm starting to regret that I just placed an order with them.

:hawk:
Seriously, from reading their forum I'd highly recommend posting your build there and seeing if they have any tips. You may be a much more experienced/knowledgeable individual than I (been a time since I was really up on PC hardware), but they might be able to suggest better deal combos or discount codes you didn't know about.

Hoping I just had bad luck on the whole. I considered pressing for them to cover the shipping and if not, doing what you said, reversing the charges and letting them now I can ship the whole thing back at their expense or they can come and pick it up. But I really need a new PC and assuming the replacement card does work, not likely to get a better spec/quality PC unless I attempt to build my own (never done that, upgraded some simple stuff - ram, video cards; if I had to, I probably could, but I'd really rather not - making sure I get all the right parts and don't screw anything up - especially the cpu/motherboard/fan-heatsink stuff, not my forte).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I jus tnow recalled the other two good system builders... Maingear and Digital Storm

EDIT: And maybe even Origin. All three are listed among others in this look at system builders. Notice the free 45 day shipping in Origin's warranty.

If you see anything then maybe if you're not happy with your's...either of you...you might find one of those three companies interesting if you went full refund.

Digital Storm
Origin
Maingear - looks like they have a March Madness going on. $650 off, free ssd and stuff.

Ill also toss out Puget Systems. They can run high sometimes but they do great work and great support. Houston does builds live on Twitch and he answers any questions and stuff. Nice guy. Dont let their main page fool ya..they will build you a powerful gaming system.

Puget Systems
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

That is such garbage treatment. I would send a simple email letting them know if they do not get it working you are contacting your credit card. And then contact your credit card if necessary (it won't be in guessing). It's not much of a fight to have to put up and honestly their business practice is just wrong and should not be tolerated.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The other thing to try is demanding a manager. Of course they can cover the shipping. The grunt on the phone just doesn't have that ability; at least not without sign-off. Either they stand by their product or they don't.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you're not happy remember there is a limited time for a refund.
Systems are covered by a 30-day money back guarantee (excluding shipping costs and custom engraving), with returns made between 31 and 45 days subject to a 15% restocking fee. No refund, credit, or exchange is allowed after 45 days.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Be way cheaper to pay for shipping the video card.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

stessier wrote:Be way cheaper to pay for shipping the video card.
Vs returning the full PC and going elsewhere or reversing the charges and telling them they can come and pick it up (which is not just going to be a magic, "sure, no problem" - that road would involve lots of hassle at a minimum and probably some other costs that will outweigh video card shipping).

I'd been dealing them through email mostly (live chat the first night). Don't get home til 7 PM Eastern and usually have other things I have to do before I can deal with the new PC. Had asied the guy to set me up with credit hold/ship the card in advance so I can get their packaging to return the bad card with. No response today.

Tomorrow though, I am working from home (usually do on Friday's but can only do 1 day a week and had to be home last Wednesday to sign for the PC delivery), should get a chance to call them and deal with this.

Also - their reading their forum, one of their members had suggestions for when you first get the PC. Too late for the take lots of photos before/during/after unpacking and for reseating before I turn it on.

But he did suggest memtest and Intel Burnin to test stability and basic functionality of RAM and CPU (along with speedfan to monitor temperature - the Intel Burnin said it would run really hot and that did push the cores into the 51-59 Degree Celsius (which is apparently too hot according to speedfan, as it marked it with a fire symbol at those times)). MEMTEST had no fire symbols. Other than there was 1 AuxTin0 device that only had 2 temps - negative 128C and positive 127C. Guessing that was maybe the harddrive or something that just had an on/off setting and have to assume that was not a meaningful/significant setting. The overall system temp never got about 26C I believe.

Also downloaded Furmark to test the GPU, waiting for the new card for using that one.

Fired up speedfan just now to look this settings up, AuxTin0 is now all over the place and on fire. Now I really want to know what that is. Have to research that, see if it's something else wrong. Up til this moment, I was going to say everything else looks good so wouldn't want to go through further hassle with the PC return if it's likely to cost me even more money. Then I closed speedfan by mistake, reopened it. AuxTin0 is back to neg 128C. And now its back to on fire. Bouncing all over from 60 to 127C. Off to figure out more about this possible issue.

Quick search said to help ID different things, go into BIOS to compare temps against speedfan. Nothing in bios with a temp that had anything resembling that sort of temp, nor the wild fluctuation. Might have to try some other temp monitoring tools.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I use CPUid and GPUid for fan speed and temps. As an alt or to go with those I use a great one called RealTemp also.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Got the credit authorization filled out, they should be shipping the new card soon. Probably misheard the guy on the phone, but thought he said it would have a shipping label that had prepaid shipping for returning the card.

Maybe this will have a happier than expected ending.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Got an email this evening that the shipping label for the new card has been created. UPS has been requested to pick it up from Cyberpowerpc. They will update estimated arrival after they pick it up, but currently estimating Tuesday 4/4 for delivery.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Got the new card today and it works (I get video, have not stressed tested it - their forum senior member (not employee) who gave "new pc - do this first" guidance I'd mentioned before suggested FurMark to test the GPU, planning to do that).

Oddly, it's a different brand video card. Both are NVidia GeForce 1060 GTX video cards, 6GB DDR5 ram. Original was a MSI, new one is a Zotac (not finding any model numbers to further identify them so far). Not sure if that's necessarily good or bad. If it's a relatively insignificant performance difference (less than 5%), don't really care. I'm more concerned about function/durability quality. If one is more likely to have issues/croak/whatever than the other, that's a concern!

The other concern is they are not the same size. Fit in the PC fine, but was going to use their packaging to return the original card. The original card is bigger than the new card, does not fit in their foam/board packaging.

On the plus side, their return label has billing marked with P/P - hoping that means prepaid shipping.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Supposedly Zotac is a nice brand. I had an nice MSI once and both fans died on it and it fried itself. Ive never looked at them again.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Daehawk wrote:Supposedly Zotac is a nice brand. I had an nice MSI once and both fans died on it and it fried itself. Ive never looked at them again.
Supposedly nice beats supposedly (or definitely known) bad at least.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Took the original bad card to UPS store. The return label provided did have prepaid shipping. Had to give the UPS people $9.37 so they would pack it up in something it should survive in (I had the (I'm assuming) antistatic bubble wrap from the new card, was able to get the old card in that).

See how things go from here. Not the most awesome experience ever, but looks like other than having to pay for the packaging, it's going to end with a solid functional PC.
mori

Post by mori »

Just ordered a new PC from ibuypower using Hardware Revolution as a guide. Went slightly over budget and it would of been significantly cheaper if I built it myself. I built a few PCs in my day but I feel so far behind on the technology, and after one particular bad build that I could never get running right, I will gladly pay the premium to get something I know will work. I bought a ibuypower PC around 8 years ago and I thought it was one of the better PCs I have had. The build sheet:

Case 1 x iBUYPOWER Element Gaming Case (Front & Side Glass Panel) - 3x Red LED Ring Fans
Case Lighting 1 x iBUYPOWER RGB Smart Lighting (Software Controlled LED Lighting Kit) - [FREE] 1 Smart Lighting Strip - Top of the case
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i5-7600K Processor (4x 3.80GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i5-7600K
Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - GSKILL Ripjaws V
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 8GB - MSI ARMOR OC (VR-Ready) - Single Card
Motherboard 1 x ASUS Prime Z270-K -- 2x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.1, 2x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0 [Intel Optane Ready]
Power Supply 1 x 750 Watt - Corsair CX750M - 80 PLUS Bronze, Full Modular
Advance Cabling Options 1 x Standard Default Cables
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1TB WD Blue SSD + 2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Data Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Sound Card 1 x ASUS Xonar DSX -- 7.1 Channels, 192kHz/24-bit
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)

Are there some things I should change or add? One thing I did not add that gave me pause was the lack of an optical drive. But the only time I used the one on my current PC was copying music CDs to iTunes so I think I can get by without one. But then again I can always pull the one out of my current PC.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont like water cooling
I hate MSI
I dont care for hybrid drives
I only like Sound Blaster for sound

But these are all personal preference.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I've had plenty of MSI products without incident. Ambivalent on liquid cooling - only because I'm not convinced it's needed.

My only comment would be that I haven't cared at all about having a dedicated sound card in nearly 15 years.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

Had a motherboard fail on my computer the week before last - so ordered something myself. I cheaped out on couple components to get the price right but think it should be strong. Replacement motherboard coming as well and hopefully can re-purpose the old machine for my wife who hasn't had one and will barely use it most likely. It all depends on how much damage the power surge did (through a battery based UPS!).

Code: Select all

SW-152-252      INTEL Q1 2017 CHANNEL ENTHUSIAST GAMING BUNDLE        
SW-152-251      NVIDIA BE THE HERO BUNDLE                               
KB-161-101      CYBERPOWERPC MULTIMEDIA/INTERNET USB KEYBOARD           
MO-131-101      CYBERPOWERPC WHITE LED USB GAMING MOUSE                 
CU-217-201      OEM INTEL CORE I7-7700K 4.20GHZ 8MB INTEL SMART CACHE  
                LGA1151
HD-204-402      240GB WD GREEN SSD 2.5" SATAIII 6.0 GB/s                
HD-403-306      1TB HDD 3.5 SATAIII 7200RPM                             
RM-601-102      8GB DDR4-2400 MEMORY                                   
FA-104-121      RED CASE FAN 120MM W/LED                               
FA-WATER-144    DEEPCOOL CAPTAIN 240EX CAPTAIN 240MM CPU WATER COOLER   
LABEL-101       CYBERPOWERPC SYSTEM SERIAL NUMBER                       
CS-450-108      CYBERPOWERPC VIEW 27 MID W/WINDOW & 4 RED RIING 120MM   
                NO POWER BLACK RETAIL
NL-104-104      DEEPCOOL RGB COLOR LED 300MM W/ REMOTE CONTROL TAPE +   
                MAGNET
MB-449-101      MSI Z270-A PRO CROSSIFRE SATA 6 USB 3.1 LGA 1151 M.2    
PS-138-101      ATNG 600 WATT 80 PLUS POWER SUPPLY                      
VC-254-101      NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X                     
SW-190-D10HE    WINDOWS 10 HOME FOR HIGH END DEVICES DIGITAL LICENSE    
SW-190-110      WINDOWS 10 64-BIT RECOVERY MEDIA                        
MISC            PUSH AND PULL                                           
MISC            ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What's the current thinking on i5 vs i7 chips? Last time I checked, i7 were more expensive, but they give you two more i.

Is 16GB RAM + 8GB video RAM pretty standard?

What are the arguments for/against liquid cooling?

I'm expecting a cash infusion that will allow me to replace my 7-year-old Cyberpower next month, barring any unforeseen crises between now and then. Will almost surely buy another cyberpower. My only mistake in configuring this machine was inadequate cooling -- it sometimes overheats and shuts down on hot summer days, and the fan kicks into overdrive whenever I'm playing any game. So I'm inclined to cool the heck out of my next machine. My office isn't air conditioned and the temperature often goes into the 90s or higher on summer afternoons.
malchior

Post by malchior »

i5 is probably fine for almost everyone - I chose an i7 specifically because I'm in a data analytics master's program and expect to be running computation loads on it so the hyperthreading is a nice feature to have. But that came at about a $100 premium. Mostly unnecessary for most.

16 GB of RAM. I just looked at my build and I only put in 8 GB which is a problem! Doh! Just ordered another 8 GB. I had 8 GB in my old gaming rig and that was fine. Again the 16 GB is about my theoretical computational needs.

The liquid cooling was stock - I bumped it up a little from 120mm to 240mm. That was mostly in case I felt like I wanted to screw around with an overclock. I probably won't but it was a 10 dollar upgrade. The con is that it is more complicated and a pain to fix if something breaks.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i only have an i7 on my current machine as i purchased a whole setup secondhand and that's what it had (it was ridiculously over-specced to begin with - had a giant CPU cooler and 24GB of RAM - this was purchased by the original buyer in 2009...) - won't do that again.

tho i will say this processor (i7 920) is almost 8 years old and it's still* handling current games ok.
Enough

Post by Enough »

hitbyambulance wrote:i only have an i7 on my current machine as i purchased a whole setup secondhand and that's what it had (it was ridiculously over-specced to begin with - had a giant CPU cooler and 24GB of RAM - this was purchased by the original buyer in 2009...) - won't do that again.

tho i will say this processor (i7 920) is almost 8 years old and it's still* handling current games ok.
I built an over-specced work station on the i7 930 overclocked to 4 ghz with 12 gb of fast RAM and by just upgrading the gpu and moving to ssds I've been able to have terrific performance for a lot of years.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
mori

Post by mori »

mori wrote:Just ordered a new PC from ibuypower using Hardware Revolution as a guide. Went slightly over budget and it would of been significantly cheaper if I built it myself. I built a few PCs in my day but I feel so far behind on the technology, and after one particular bad build that I could never get running right, I will gladly pay the premium to get something I know will work. I bought a ibuypower PC around 8 years ago and I thought it was one of the better PCs I have had. The build sheet:

Case 1 x iBUYPOWER Element Gaming Case (Front & Side Glass Panel) - 3x Red LED Ring Fans
Case Lighting 1 x iBUYPOWER RGB Smart Lighting (Software Controlled LED Lighting Kit) - [FREE] 1 Smart Lighting Strip - Top of the case
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i5-7600K Processor (4x 3.80GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i5-7600K
Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - GSKILL Ripjaws V
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 8GB - MSI ARMOR OC (VR-Ready) - Single Card
Motherboard 1 x ASUS Prime Z270-K -- 2x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.1, 2x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0 [Intel Optane Ready]
Power Supply 1 x 750 Watt - Corsair CX750M - 80 PLUS Bronze, Full Modular
Advance Cabling Options 1 x Standard Default Cables
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1TB WD Blue SSD + 2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Data Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Sound Card 1 x ASUS Xonar DSX -- 7.1 Channels, 192kHz/24-bit
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)

Are there some things I should change or add? One thing I did not add that gave me pause was the lack of an optical drive. But the only time I used the one on my current PC was copying music CDs to iTunes so I think I can get by without one. But then again I can always pull the one out of my current PC.
Funny how iBUYPOWER sends updates about the build to its customers. Evidently there is a six step process from collecting the components to final shipping and I need to be apprised with each step. One, I do not need to know this. Only thing I need to know is the delivery date. Two, does this actually coincide with my PC or is it an automatic generated email? I ordered a car from Ford and I can guarantee I will not receive as many emails, if any, concerning the status of the vehicle.

I realized too late that I do not think I will need all that storage. The only thing I will use it for is to game and to play music. I do not rip movies or other video. Could of saved some money.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

malchior wrote:Had a motherboard fail on my computer the week before last - so ordered something myself. I cheaped out on couple components to get the price right but think it should be strong. Replacement motherboard coming as well and hopefully can re-purpose the old machine for my wife who hasn't had one and will barely use it most likely. It all depends on how much damage the power surge did (through a battery based UPS!).

Code: Select all

SW-152-252      INTEL Q1 2017 CHANNEL ENTHUSIAST GAMING BUNDLE        
SW-152-251      NVIDIA BE THE HERO BUNDLE                               
KB-161-101      CYBERPOWERPC MULTIMEDIA/INTERNET USB KEYBOARD           
MO-131-101      CYBERPOWERPC WHITE LED USB GAMING MOUSE                 
CU-217-201      OEM INTEL CORE I7-7700K 4.20GHZ 8MB INTEL SMART CACHE  
                LGA1151
HD-204-402      240GB WD GREEN SSD 2.5" SATAIII 6.0 GB/s                
HD-403-306      1TB HDD 3.5 SATAIII 7200RPM                             
RM-601-102      8GB DDR4-2400 MEMORY                                   
FA-104-121      RED CASE FAN 120MM W/LED                               
FA-WATER-144    DEEPCOOL CAPTAIN 240EX CAPTAIN 240MM CPU WATER COOLER   
LABEL-101       CYBERPOWERPC SYSTEM SERIAL NUMBER                       
CS-450-108      CYBERPOWERPC VIEW 27 MID W/WINDOW & 4 RED RIING 120MM   
                NO POWER BLACK RETAIL
NL-104-104      DEEPCOOL RGB COLOR LED 300MM W/ REMOTE CONTROL TAPE +   
                MAGNET
MB-449-101      MSI Z270-A PRO CROSSIFRE SATA 6 USB 3.1 LGA 1151 M.2    
PS-138-101      ATNG 600 WATT 80 PLUS POWER SUPPLY                      
VC-254-101      NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X                     
SW-190-D10HE    WINDOWS 10 HOME FOR HIGH END DEVICES DIGITAL LICENSE    
SW-190-110      WINDOWS 10 64-BIT RECOVERY MEDIA                        
MISC            PUSH AND PULL                                           
MISC            ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND
I am not familiar with that power supply (doesn't mean much, I'm not familiar with many brands of power supplies) but I will advise you if that's the stock power supply, EVERYTHING I read about CyberpowerPC on their forums is their default power supplies are bad. They are known to cause issues after a couple years in the best case. Have them upgrade your power supply if it's not too late.

Sorry for not commenting sooner, haven't been to this subforum for a while since I got my PC.

FYI - after I got the new video card, everything has been fine for the most part. They received the old card (I had to pay about $10 for UPS store to package it, but they did end up sending a prepaid return shipping label so I did not have to pay shipping) and released the hold on my card.

Only odd thing I still notice is that when it goes to power saving mode, it tends to spin right back up. Screensaver is fine, just power saver. Couldn't find anything admin logs to suggest why it was doing that constantly. Not sure if that's PC, Windows 10, some setting I need to find and adjust, some update, or just something this PC will always do.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

mori

Post by mori »

My new system arrived today. Had to have been the most painless setup and getting it up an running I have experienced with a PC. Everything appears to be working perfectly. The lighting effects that came with the system are a little distracting however. It is also big and with all the fans it is like sitting in front of an A/C unit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Similar experience right up to the hugeness and distracting lighting effects. I came home one night and was like what is the demonic red glow in my office windows...oh yeah.
mori

Post by mori »

I turned off the internal LEDs after two days. I like the demonic red glow. I am very happy with my purchase.