AMD Ryzen

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

AMD Ryzen

Post by Isgrimnur »

AnandTech
The biggest x86 launch for AMD in five years is today: Ryzen is here. As always before a major launch, AMD gives a ‘Tech Day’ for relevant press and analysts, and through this event AMD’s CEO, Dr. Lisa Su lifted the lid on one of the most anticipated products in the semiconductor industry. AMD knows how to control the level of enthusiasm for its fans, and today is the end result, with processors going on pre-order from major retailers today at 1pm EST, ready for a general hard launch on March 2nd.
With a new processor launch, naming the parts and positioning them within the market is critical. So with Ryzen, the processor stack will be split into three based on performance and price: Ryzen 7 at the high end, Ryzen 5 in the middle, and Ryzen 3 for more price-conscious consumers. Both Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 3 are set to be launched later, and Ryzen 7 is the first portion of the family to be released.

Ryzen 7 will have three CPUs to start, all having eight cores and supporting simultaneous multi-threading:
  • Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T, 3.6 GHz base, 4.0 GHz turbo, 95W, $499
  • Ryzen 7 1700X: 8C/16T, 3.4 GHz base, 3.8 GHz turbo, 95W, $399
  • Ryzen 7 1700: 8C/16T, 3.0 GHz base, 3.7 GHz turbo, $329
Ryzen 7 1800X will be the high-end part, featuring a base clock of 3.6 GHz and a turbo of 4.0 GHz, within a TDP of 95W, and for $499. Next to this is Ryzen 7 1700X, launching at $399, with a base/turbo of 3.4/3.8 GHz. The final part for the launch is the Ryzen 7 1700, providing eight cores and sixteen threads for $329 at 3.0/3.7 GHz frequencies.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Re: AMD Ryzen

Post by Alefroth »

What a coincidence that their tiers are 3, 5, and 7.

Looks like 3 and 5 won't ship until later this year.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Some benchmarks are coming out.

I thought it would perform a little better than the i7, but that's still pretty impressive given the price.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I'm seriously considering the 1800X for my next build. I really need the cores and AMD's offering is pretty much exactly what I need and at a reasonable price compared to the equivalent Intel chip. I'm going to wait a couple of months though to let the platform work the bios kinks out and make sure programs like VMWare Workstation don't have any issues.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i only installed an Intel CPU in my current machine because i got it second-hand for a decent price. it's still working well five years on (and nearly eight years since launch!), but Ryzen may be a good replacement, when it's time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ryzen 5
AMD said it will ship its Ryzen 5 desktop processors on April 11, the same day it will begin accepting its first orders for the chip. All of the four new Ryzen 5 chips will be priced at less than $250, the same price range that Intel currently offers for its own Core i5 chips at. However, the number of cores and threads that the Ryzen 5 offers pushes into Intel’s Core i7 territory, potentially offering much more value for the price.

Here are the four members of the Ryzen 5 family:

* The $169 Ryzen 5 1400, a 4-core/8-thread chip that runs at 3.2GHz and boosts at 3.4GHz
* The $189 Ryzen 5 1500X, (4 cores/8 threads, 3.5GHz/3.7GHz)
* The $219 Ryzen 5 1600 (6 cores/12 threads, 3.2GHz/3.6GHz)
* And the $249 Ryzen 5 1600X (6 cores/12 threads, 3.6GHz/4.0GHz)
Though AMD and others typically consider the Ryzen 7 and Core i7 to be so-called “gaming” or “enthusiast” parts, hardware surveys like those conducted by Valve Software’s Steam store tell another story. In February, 48 percent of all PC gamers ran PCs with four physical cores, while another 46 percent used just two cores. That actually places the typical gamer at or just below what the Core i5 offers, and right in the niche AMD hopes to conquer.
For now, AMD executives said they’ll disclose Ryzen 5 performance numbers at a later date, after orders for the chip have begun. There’s one small exception: AMD disclosed that the XFR threshold for the 1400X will be 3.7GHz, 200MHz higher than the boost speed. AMD’s eXtended Frequency Range kicks in when the processor is properly cooled. The XFR number is typically only 100MHz higher than the boost speed, or the clock speed that the chip can leap to for a short period under load.

Like the Ryzen 7, however, all Ryzen 5 chips will be multiplier unlocked, meaning you could push the performance higher. All of the new Ryzen 5 chips use a 65W threshold, except the 1600X, which has a TDP of 95W.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I've read a bit about these CPUs and it just reminds me of FX all over again. The idea is if you need a lot of threads then these processors look good, but for most people 4 cores/4 threads is enough. So then you'd rather have fast cores as opposed to multiple threads for the money.

The hype about all CPUs being unlocked doesn't impress me because, unless I've missed something, AMD is selling these running at almost the fastest speeds they can run. It's not like you're getting a 3.5ghz CPU that overclocks on air to 5ghz. If the CPUs were that good then AMD would be selling them at 4.5ghz or something and the headroom to overclock would be small.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

PC World
AMD used its first keynote address at CES to formally announce its next GPU, the Radeon VII, as well as its 3rd-generation Ryzen processor. Both will ship this year using the 7nm manufacturing process, giving AMD the technological edge over Nvidia and Intel in the war for ever-shrinking chips.

The keynote by AMD chief executive Lisa Su initially paled in terms of new announcements to Intel’s own 10nm keynote blitz a day before. But it ended strong, with the smaller, finer 7nm technology the focus of Su’s speech. It’s already been a busy show for AMD, which already announced new mobile chips and its first foray into Chromebooks earlier in the week.