Looking for router that supports vpn app on SS.S5

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

UsulofDoom

Looking for router that supports vpn app on SS.S5

Post by UsulofDoom »

I would like to have my Samsung S5 use a VPN connection to my house. Then use the houses internet connection to go out. Good way for security. Any one doing this? What router do you use? Needs to have WiFi too.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
GreenGoo

Re: Looking for router that supports vpn app on SS.S5

Post by GreenGoo »

If I understand you correctly, you want to connect to your home over your phone network, then vpn out from your home to the internet at large.

You can buy any cheapish router compatible with tomato (or DD-WRT, but that's more complicated). You install tomato (there are a couple of version, you'll need to read or wait for someone with first hand knowledge here) over the default firmware on your router and ta da, you've got all sorts of awesome functionality that's got a pretty good gui and looks fairly intuitive.

You'll also need an exit point for your vpn tunnel.

If I'm misunderstanding you, my apologies.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

GreenGoo wrote:If I understand you correctly, you want to connect to your home over your phone network, then vpn out from your home to the internet at large.

You can buy any cheapish router compatible with tomato (or DD-WRT, but that's more complicated). You install tomato (there are a couple of version, you'll need to read or wait for someone with first hand knowledge here) over the default firmware on your router and ta da, you've got all sorts of awesome functionality that's got a pretty good gui and looks fairly intuitive.

You'll also need an exit point for your vpn tunnel.

If I'm misunderstanding you, my apologies.
I think you misunderstood. I think he want to connect to his home network using VPN then connect out using his home's internet connection.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-router ... ng-dd-wrt/

That will add security to your phone connection to internet, but it'll mean you're opening up your home network to incoming VPN connection. So if for some reason, a hacker is able to gain access to your VPN, they have full access to your home network.

I think a better option is to just use a third part VPN service. So instead of connecting using VPN to your home network then go out to internet for security, you connect to the VPN service provider's network using VPN then go out to internet for security.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fair enough. Tomato will do that too, and you can use any android vpn software for his phone (assuming it's an android).

As I mentioned, it is my understanding that Tomato is easier to use for most people than DD-WRT, only because DD-WRT exposes so much functionality to the user that someone of middling technical ability might find overwhelming. I mean, he probably doesn't need complete control over the antenna frequency, for example.

I've personally seen the Tomato gui (some offshoot of Tomato, I don't remember exactly which) and it was clean and intuitive.

He could always tunnel in and tunnel out, but the overhead would be significant, obviously. Depends what he wants it for, I guess. :wink: