Orginal Half Life problem with Radeon 9800 and Direct3d

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gorham09

Orginal Half Life problem with Radeon 9800 and Direct3d

Post by gorham09 »

I've been trying to finish half-life in anticipation of the upcoming sequel. I've run into some annoying problems though.

I have the elevator problem (dying unless I jump continuously while in an elevator), I also have a flickering texture problem in OpenGL.
This is annoying and can be avoided by using Direct3d, but I have a worse problem in Direct3d. When I escape to the menu I can't get back into the game-- when I hit resume game the half life splash screen with the 1.10 version number stays up even though the game is technically resumed (I can hear the sound effects and fire a weapon but I can't do anything because instead of seeing the in-game graphics all I see is the splash screen). Anyone have an experience with this problem? I couldn't find anything at ATI's site nor could I find anything in a couple of the half-life forums I browsed.
Darkfyre

Post by Darkfyre »

Running the hard copy, or a steam downloaded copy?
Do you know the Bovine Conspiracy?
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

Try alt-tabbing out of and then into the game.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

No running the original fully patched up with the high def. pack.
I tried alt-tabbing and it just brings me back to the splash screen. Like I said though, I can tell I'm in game though because I can hear the sound effects and can fire weapons. it's really strange. If I quick save and quick load it's fine because I never exit out of the game screen. But if I have to go to the menu, I can't get back into the game unless I exit out and reload the game from the desktop.
Darkfyre

Post by Darkfyre »

Interesting. Well, I have to say try updating your video drivers. Only thing I can think of for the moment.

Cheers,

Darkfyre
Do you know the Bovine Conspiracy?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Have you tried temporarily disabling any forced AA/AF to see if that is the problem?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

I think I did disable AA and A/S filtering, but I'll have to double check. Dose anyone know if there is any siginficant quality differnce between opengl and direct3d in half life. Opengl does not have the load save problem, and I think I saw a fix for the flickering.

I can't believe I never finished this game :roll:
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

No luck. I had disable AA and AF. Don't know what else I change. It's a strange problem.