What did I do wrong (IMAP Email)

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrothgar

What did I do wrong (IMAP Email)

Post by Hrothgar »

So I finally converted my last email account from POP to IMAP on Outlook 2013. As I recall, this involved creating a new .ost file. A little over two months later I notice that my sent email is only saved for the last two months. Anything older is vanishing into the ether. I presume this reflects some server side setting. Ideally, I'd like to keep syncing the folder so that items sent from my phone show up, but not if everything is going to disappear after two months. My Google fu is too weak to solve this problem. Is there a simple solution? Is there a solution at all? Thanks in advance for the help.
gilraen

Re: What did I do wrong (IMAP Email)

Post by gilraen »

So right now, exactly what kind of setup do you have? Is there a "Sent Items" folder that's server-side, or did you have to create one manually on your phone or your computer?
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Yes, there is a sent items folder on the server. I didn't specifically create it on the server. I don't know if it was there or created on the first sync. The only thing outlook tell me is that I'm subscribed to it. On my client side, it was automatically created setting up the account.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Couple of things to check
1) If you have webmail, see if the items are there. Also look for a Sent folder & a Sent Messages folder, not just Sent items..(I think there is another name it could go by as well, but can't recall)
If the items are there but not in Outlook, go to 2. If not there go to 3

2) A- Check in Outlook and make sure you are subscribed to ALL of your folders.
B-When you first open the account settings in Outlook, look for a "Mail to Keep offline" slider like this
Make sure it is set to ALL
3) If it is not there, do you remember checking if it was there after the migration from POP3 to IMAP? Do you still have your old POP3 PST file that you can open and check there?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I do have the slider and it's set to all. But you were right. There were webmail deletion settings. Sent was set to 30 days. Strangely, unread inbox emails were set to 45 days. I wonder what I lost there without noticing. I fixed the settings.

I guess those are server side settings and override my local settings? Is there a way to keep the server side leaner than my local storage? Is that what the archive settings in outlook do now?

I think the problem is solved, but I'm more confused. Thanks for the help (and any continuing help).
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Typically, settings done in Webmail are server side and take place before the email hits your local client.

Not sure if I understand your next part.. You want less email server side then local? If so, then depending on the server settings, using Outlook archiving will pull off the server and save to a local archive file.
This means it is also gone from webmail.
Any reason you want to do this though? are you running out of space server side?
I have email going back more than 10 years server side.. (I use 1and1.com) I generally only delete SPAM or subscription emails and tend to keep everything else, especially purchases (I HAVE had need to go back to find old purchases before).
I only worry about it if my server side email gets filled...and that's been once in the past 17 years
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us