WPA-only device on WPA2 network

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

WPA-only device on WPA2 network

Post by hitbyambulance »

the context, if needed - my dad has an Aluratek AIRMM01F internet radio that only supports WPA and WEP. i'm trying to think of ways to get this to work:

1) install DD-WRT on the router and script to create a virtual WLAN with WPA encryption that only has internet access for the radio to use (while the rest of the network is on WPA2), or
2) plug in a WPA2-compatible access point to the radio. (which seems silly, because the radio can* be used as an AP as well, it's just... on WEP and WPA only.)

any other ideas, or is this about it?
Anonymous Bosch

Re: WPA-only device on WPA2 network

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

In terms of pure convenience, the easiest option would likely be to just buy a Powerline Networking Kit -- the current recommendation from TheWirecutter.com is available from Amazon for S96.99 -- so that you can just use the Ethernet port on the radio instead. While that may seem expensive, it certainly can be an incredibly handy piece of kit to have around, and couldn't be mucn simpler and easier to set up and use.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:the easiest option would likely be to just buy a Powerline Networking Kit
i'm opposed to these, on account of the RF noise and interference they generate.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:the easiest option would likely be to just buy a Powerline Networking Kit
i'm opposed to these, on account of the RF noise and interference they generate.
Do they generate that much noise? I have them and haven't had any issues with anything (I know, anecdotal). I've never heard of it even being brought up as a downside.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Anonymous Bosch

stessier wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:
Do they generate that much noise? I have them and haven't had any issues with anything (I know, anecdotal). I've never heard of it even being brought up as a downside.
Alas, it's certainly a valid concern for those interested in ham radio (or any amateur radio enthusiast living nearby). There's a decent write-up on the issues involved here.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ah - thanks.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

hitbyambulance wrote:the context, if needed - my dad has an Aluratek AIRMM01F internet radio that only supports WPA and WEP. i'm trying to think of ways to get this to work:

1) install DD-WRT on the router and script to create a virtual WLAN with WPA encryption that only has internet access for the radio to use (while the rest of the network is on WPA2), or
2) plug in a WPA2-compatible access point to the radio. (which seems silly, because the radio can* be used as an AP as well, it's just... on WEP and WPA only.)

any other ideas, or is this about it?
Does Aluratek provide firmware updates for it? One may add the additional encryption levels.

Alernatively, get a cheap second router or AP configured for WPA and lock it to his MAC address.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

hitbyambulance wrote:
BTW, since you'd prefer to avoid the RF noise of Powerline Networking, a Universal Ethernet to Wi-Fi Adapter would also allow you to use the radio's Ethernet jack to easily connect to your existing WPA2 network without too much hassle.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

an advantage of using a router as an AP (i have one sitting around, not being used) is that his weather station could be plugged into that as well - the model he has is ethernet-only.

i sent him a list of options, and suggested in the meantime he could just use the old laptop or the Nexus 10 tablet as an internet radio replacement. not sure that'll actually happen, but it seems like an obvious workaround to me...
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I have a really old Aluratek that I stopped using because the stations list just wasn't working right anymore. It seemed it finally hit the wall; and at that time I replaced it with a squeezebox. Now the squeezebox is slowly becoming less useful for the same reason, a lot of streams just don't work anymore (the spotify app on it kind of works ok so that's given it a second life).

For the most part now, I just pair my phone to the TV sound bar setup and play spotify (or do it on the TV through spotify directly). Lots of great music, less local content though.
No.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

FishPants wrote: For the most part now, I just pair my phone to the TV sound bar setup and play spotify (or do it on the TV through spotify directly). Lots of great music, less local content though.
he actually listens to two local stations on it, since the AM and FM reception for those stations are so bad inside the house.