App for monitoring and recording internet connectivity?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

App for monitoring and recording internet connectivity?

Post by jztemple2 »

Recently my normally rock solid cable internet connection has been a little flaky. As part of monitoring and troubleshooting, I was wondering is there is some program/app that I can leave running on my Win7 machine that will periodically check the connection all the way to the internet and record the result. Something like speedtest.net does but instead of a snapshot, it would periodically check and record the connection status. I'm not looking for anything sophisticated that would test and record ping or upload/download speeds, just something that would periodically (maybe on a selective time option basis?) shake hands with somewhere on the internet and record the success or lack of same. I would be leaving it on for several hours at a time to check on drops in connection.

And free would be nice too :D.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Anonymous Bosch

Re: App for monitoring and recording internet connectivity?

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

The open-source Speed Test Loggger (which is not a typo) ought to do the trick.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Great, I think that is just what I need. Thanks! :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
lempets

Post by lempets »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:The open-source ]Speed Test Loggger (which is not a typo) ought to do the trick.

It is a good application