What the heck is going on with my internet access?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

What the heck is going on with my internet access?

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm using a speed test data logger that every minute tries to grab a 5MB file. The axis on the left is download speed, but that's not important. What's weird is the sawtooth pattern. Green means I have access, yellow means no connection to that website. Ordinarily it's either solid green or solid yellow for an outage, but for the past two hours (the screen grab was from earlier) my access has been that five or so minutes up, three or so minutes down. Does this pattern look like a certain type of failure to folks here? ISP? Regional? And btw, access to other sites is matching that pattern.

And perhaps another point of data, my wife is off doing taxes at a local library and she's having some internet problems, but whether they are related I cannot say.

And I'm actually waiting for the next "green" period to post this message...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Re: What the heck is going on with my internet access?

Post by jztemple2 »

I finally went and called my service provider (Spectrum, formerly Brighthouse) and amazing enough (opinion based on previous experience) this time I wasn't put on hold at all and went right through to tech support. And after establishing my issue, including describing the sawtooth behavior, he reset my modem remotely and that has appeared to fix the problem. And yes, I could have reset the modem myself, but I wanted to make sure I had established a record for them if this happens again.

And even more surprisingly, the guy set up an appointment for me tomorrow (a Sunday no less) to have a tech come out and look at my modem, but said that I can call up and cancel if I have no more problem the rest of the day. So we'll see.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive had Charter for many years now. They are Spectrum. Ive always gotten great help and service from them. You speak to people and they know what they are doing. I can say I hate them trying to send people out. I usually tell them no thanks..especially if it seems ok now. I will say they charge too much and supply only 60 meg down and 4 up...yipee.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just curious.. What program are you using?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote:Just curious.. What program are you using?
This thread has my original post that Anonymous Bosch replied to and directed me to Speed Test Logger ...uh... Loggger. Be sure to read the blog entry on How to use the Speed Test Loggger, it is a little out of date but will help you with what you need. And this site is a good source for the test files you will need. I use the 5 MB file as I'm not as concerned about download speed as much as I am about connectivity. Also I've had times when the download site is slow but using Speedtest.net shows my connection is still pretty fast.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Thanks!
I'll probably mess around with that when I get back from vacation
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us