Volume meter is stuck

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Volume meter is stuck

Post by Skinypupy »

This randomly started yesterday, a volume meter suddenly showed up in the top left of my screen. Nothing I do will remove it, and it overlays any open programs. I didn't do any major updates (that I'm aware of, anyways).

Gets even stranger though. Anytime I go into the system volume and try to turn the volume down, it automatically just jumps back up to 100. Kinda like if the volume button on your TV remote gets stuck in the "up" position.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Realtek audio driver, reset the audio service through the services panel, disconnected all audio outputs, and it's still there. It will occasionally randomly disappear for 30 seconds or so, but it always comes back. I'm not even sure where else to start troubleshooting, tbh...Google has been very little help on this.

If anyone's got any ideas, I'm all ears.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
gilraen

Re: Volume meter is stuck

Post by gilraen »

What version of Windows is this?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sorry. Windows 10, 64-bit

Here's a crappy video of what happens when I try to adjust the volume. It just automatically jumps back up to 100.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Seems to be a pretty common problem...people are suggesting that it may be a driver conflict if you have a multimedia keyboard or mouse plugged in. Some are suggesting just turning off notifications ("Open Settings > Personalization > Taskbar. At the bottom you will see a heading Notification Area click on "Turn system icons ON - OFF, turn the volume OFF" - I don't have Win 10, can't test it). It doesn't really explain why your volume is stuck at 11 100 though.

Edit: just saw your video...wow, that's weird! You're sure you don't have a volume button stuck somewhere on the keyboard, are you? :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks, that did the trick. Apparently one of the volume buttons on my keyboard (which I didn't even know existed because I've never used them) got stuck.

How I didn't realize that before... :oops:
lempets

Post by lempets »

Ok what can i do when i got the same problem on win 7?