Need Help Choosing a Notebook/Laptop Computer

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Apollo

Need Help Choosing a Notebook/Laptop Computer

Post by Apollo »

Actually, the computer is for my dad. He likes to spend his time playing "Candy Crush" and reading Facebook on his ipad. But the ipad doesn't work as well as it once did and he wants something new. Since I know nothing at all about anything but desktop PC's, I need some advice on helping him choose a new Notebook computer to play "Candy Crush" on. Basically he wants something with a touchscreen (11.6" or similar size screen is what he is looking for) that will let him play his games and Facebook videos smoothly. It doesn't have to be a "Notebook" computer, it can be a laptop or whatever, but he wants to spend less than $400.

The amount of choices is absolutely staggering, and I have no idea what features would be most helpful for him, so I'm looking for suggestions on features that should be gotten or avoided, or suggestions to buy a specific model. Any help will be appreciated!
stessier

Re: Need Help Choosing a Notebook/Laptop Computer

Post by stessier »

We got the Samsung Galaxy Tab A - but it's only got a 9.7" screen. Unless he has poor eye sight, it should be big enough. My wife uses it for basically the exact same thing plus watching Netflix. Battery is great, resolution is decent. As long as he's not composing manifestos on Facebook, it should be fine.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

If you want a touchscreen, you're looking for a 2-in-1 laptop - really you can just go on Amazon, pull up their 2-in-1 category and compare prices and see what looks good. They have plenty of options for under $400 (and Chromebooks are even cheaper).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Don't get him a Chromebook. Very limited ecosystem and counterintuitive.

Agree that a 2-in-1 is a good bet.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

New Chromebooks have full access to the Google Play store - doesn't seem so limited.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote:New Chromebooks have full access to the Google Play store - doesn't seem so limited.
Ever try to set up a printer on one? :grund:

Re-reading the OP I guess it would work for just Candy Crush and Facebook as required but any "computery" stuff will probably require a housecall.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

"Printer"? I've seen those in museums, I think. Used a thing they call "paper", right?

:P
dfs

Post by dfs »

...If he's used to an ipad why not get him another ipad?

Tou remark that his ipad doesn't work as well as it once did. I'm honestly curious what that means and if it's correctable? I've been using the same ipad for 5+ years. Bought a refurb and it's worked great since day 1.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

dfs wrote: ipad doesn't work as well as it once did. I'm honestly curious what that means
yes, what does this mean? all Candy Crush requires is a minimum of iOS 5.1.1
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

He has told me that videos would freeze up, and that he had trouble getting to the next level of Candy Crush, but then he's on about level 2367. :mrgreen:

I'd try to fix his ipad, but I know nothing at all about ipads, ipods, laptops, smart phones, or any piece of electronics that doesn't weigh 20 pounds and sits on a desk. :D

Thanks for the input, guys!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Apollo wrote:He has told me that videos would freeze up, and that he had trouble getting to the next level of Candy Crush, but then he's on about level 2367. :mrgreen:

I'd try to fix his ipad, but I know nothing at all about ipads, ipods, laptops, smart phones, or any piece of electronics that doesn't weigh 20 pounds and sits on a desk. :D

has factory restore been tried yet? and then only install the most needed apps.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:21 am
stessier wrote:New Chromebooks have full access to the Google Play store - doesn't seem so limited.
I'm about to address this issue with my parents; I purchased them A Chromebook a few months ago (which has been working out great), but now my dad wants a printer because my mom refuses to read things on a monitor (true story).

Any suggestions for a printer you'd give to a 72 year old, i.e. something that works perfectly with Chrome and is totally mindless? I don't think it needs to do anything other than print in black and white, and I'd prefer laser over inkjet simply for longevity.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:57 am I'm about to address this issue with my parents; I purchased them A Chromebook a few months ago (which has been working out great), but now my dad wants a printer because my mom refuses to read things on a monitor (true story).

Any suggestions for a printer you'd give to a 72 year old, i.e. something that works perfectly with Chrome and is totally mindless? I don't think it needs to do anything other than print in black and white, and I'd prefer laser over inkjet simply for longevity.
Something like this Samsung, maybe?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Re-reading the OP I guess it would work for just Candy Crush and Facebook as required but any "computery" stuff will probably require a housecall.
Funny, but the printing from my wife's Chromebook is way more reliable than any of the Windows PCs in my house. That said, it did take a bit of work to get the initial printing set up. But now everyone mails their documents to my wife for her to print.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:57 am
I'm about to address this issue with my parents; I purchased them A Chromebook a few months ago (which has been working out great), but now my dad wants a printer because my mom refuses to read things on a monitor (true story).

For a fast, cheap, and easy-to-operate monochrome Chromebook laser printer, I'd suggest going with the Samsung SL-M2020W/XAA Wireless Monochrome Printer that's recommended here:
cbookreviewguide.com wrote:Samsung SL-M2020W/XAA Wireless Monochrome Printer

The Samsung printer is very easy to setup with Chromebooks and Google Cloud Print. This is an amazing printer for Chromebooks that fits most (if not all) user needs. It is small (8.5 x 13.1 x 7 inches) enough that you can elegantly put it anywhere. It is gorgeous looking and at the same time very discreet (unlike those big do-it-all machines no one can miss). Works silently enough. Prints 21 ppm (which is quite fast). Extremely easy to setup. You can have this setup with your Chromebook in 10 minutes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Apollo wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 5:13 pm He has told me that videos would freeze up, and that he had trouble getting to the next level of Candy Crush, but then he's on about level 2367. :mrgreen:

'

If it is an older iPad, the OS updates may have killed his performance. I've seen it happen lots.

A factory reset may help, but make sure you have everything backed up before you embark on this road. Any clue what model iPad, and what version of iOS he's running?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:19 pm For a fast, cheap, and easy-to-operate monochrome Chromebook laser printer, I'd suggest going with the Samsung SL-M2020W/XAA Wireless Monochrome Printer that's recommended here
Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As it turns out, no, it is not easy to set up. It's been nothing but problems. Can't get it connected to the WiFi network and even when it's USB'd to the Chromebook, it won't print. I'm headed off tonight to beat my fists against it as (big surprise) it's not something I can address via telephone.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sorry never heard of Chromebook printer. I know its a cheap laptop. Whats the difference in it and a normal wifi printer? As for wireless monochrome laser I recommend Brother.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's not a Chromebook printer; it's a Samsung printer that (allegedly) works amazingly with a Chrombook. I've not found that to be true, but it could also be my relative ignorance with Chrome.

I think the issue is that it won't connect to the WiFi and trying to use the browser to configure the printer isn't working. The default account/password for the printer isn't being accepted.

I'm just befuddled as I've become rather used to just plugging something into my laptop or desktop PC, Windows crunching for a second or two and then everything magically works. Even when the USB cable was used to connect this printer to the Chrombook, it still isn't working.

The real issue here is that there's really no reason for my dad to have a printer, outside of maybe needing to print ~30 pages once a year for a mailer. I foolishly agreed to purchase him one. It would have been easier to just have him send me the stuff he needed to print and deal with it myself.
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:58 pm As it turns out, no, it is not easy to set up. It's been nothing but problems. Can't get it connected to the WiFi network and even when it's USB'd to the Chromebook, it won't print. I'm headed off tonight to beat my fists against it as (big surprise) it's not something I can address via telephone.
Are you having problems getting it connected to the wireless network, or is it more an issue of you having difficulty instructing your dad how to do it over the telephone? Because I can certainly understand how the latter would be a significant challenge.

FWIW, here's the how-to section from the support site for that particular printer. Choose the 'Wireless, Network & Internet' topic and hopefully that'll help.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wasn't able to do it myself (connect it to WiFi). I can't even imagine trying to explain that one to my dad. :D

Defeated, I ordered him a USB cable (the one it came with wasn't the right size) and figured without me there, he could connect the two and he'd be off and running. But even when they're physically wired to each other, he still can't get it to print.

Now, it's possible he's trying to print the internet or he clicked something during an auto configuration that has it all screwed up. I'm going to try and figure that out tonight. My goal was to get it connected via USB and once that happens, I figured getting it on the WiFi would be easier.

Thanks
Anonymous Bosch

Wow, I'm surprised you weren't able to get it connected to the WiFi network yourself. Makes me wonder if he didn't just end up with a lemon or something, as it ought not be all that difficult to get the printer connected wirelessly. And if he couldn't get it working even with a USB cable, that sounds as if something's seriously FUBAR'd.

If it's a matter of your dad somehow having buggered something up, here's hoping he didn't bugger it up too severely. Good luck!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Even more amazing. Since I couldn't get it to work remotely via telephone, I told him to email me the documents and I'd have hard copies as a backup that he can then run off to Staples or whatever.

He said that he can't send the email to me because when he tries to write it and attach the documents, it's trying to print them.

I can't possibly imagine what type of colossal cock-up is happening there right now, but I'm completely kerpuzzled. The best I can figure is that he originally hit print 37 times and those 37 requests are now bouncing through the print-spooler and kicking out errors. He can't get anything done (my guess) because he keeps getting notifications that it's trying to print. If one the other hand he did something so that when he hits "add attachment' it tries to print, I cannot guarantee the safety of that Chrombook.
Anonymous Bosch

Wow. Just be grateful you didn't unleash your dad upon a Windows system. At least with a Chromebook you always have the option of easily resetting it to factory settings with minimal effort.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He keeps bitching that all he wanted was a Dell (because that's what he had at his former job), however when I press for more details it turns out that his office administrative assistants did all the document manipulation and printing for him. He's convinced he knows how to do it all, but it was a solid 2 weeks before he figured out the difference between saving "in the cloud" vs locally to the Chromebook. He was spending *hours* looking for stuff he was working on, not realizing nothing was saved on the device at all. True story.

(insert old man yells out cloud.gif)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I've tried to give my Dad various acquired computers for the past 20 years and teach him how to use them. He still can't double-click.

It makes me feel so bad because he is a brilliant man, a genius actually, but he can not grasp tech at all. We both get so frustrated every time I try.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 pm I've tried to give my Dad various acquired computers for the past 20 years and teach him how to use them. He still can't double-click.

It makes me feel so bad because he is a brilliant man, a genius actually, but he can not grasp tech at all. We both get so frustrated every time I try.
My wife is brilliant at income taxes and so many other things, but I'm still unable to make her understand how her desktop email client isn't the same as the online server from our ISP. I finally fixed the problem by increasing the online storage from 100MB to 2GB so at least if she doesn't check her email for a week it doesn't fill up her usage.

And don't get me started on getting to learn how to double click :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My father double clicks hyperlinks.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, so last night I made progress( sort of). He was indeed all befuddled and I was simply able to email the documents to myself. For printing, it was not recognizing the printer via USB cable either. Eventually something changed (no idea) and I was able to get it to recognize that there was indeed a printer attached. However, when I would try to print to it, the printer would turn off (like immediately after I told it to print something) and a notification that the document "printed successfully" would pop up.

In doing a quick search online, it would appear this is a known issue for some printers and Chrome, but not the one I'm using. I was ok with eveyrthing when it wasn't working or recognizing the printer was attached, but I don't know how to troubleshoot something where the system is telling you everything is fine (and it's not).

F-ing computers!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Computers are fine. It's printers that are the devil.

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:45 am Computers are fine. It's printers that are the devil.

Enlarge Image
Despite my intention to do as little as possible during retirement, I was convinced by my wife to be the technology guru for our local volunteer tax organization. Among my other activities is the requirement to get forty plus laptops of varying age to talk to a selection from our twenty or so printers of various ages, brands and general reliability. It is, by far, the most frustrating, infuriating part of the job. Printers which happily worked with a laptop one day will absolutely refuse to connect the next. All computers should come with built in printers! :cry:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:25 am Ok, so last night I made progress( sort of). He was indeed all befuddled and I was simply able to email the documents to myself. For printing, it was not recognizing the printer via USB cable either. Eventually something changed (no idea) and I was able to get it to recognize that there was indeed a printer attached. However, when I would try to print to it, the printer would turn off (like immediately after I told it to print something) and a notification that the document "printed successfully" would pop up.

In doing a quick search online, it would appear this is a known issue for some printers and Chrome, but not the one I'm using. I was ok with eveyrthing when it wasn't working or recognizing the printer was attached, but I don't know how to troubleshoot something where the system is telling you everything is fine (and it's not).

F-ing computers!
Try going through the troubleshooting steps mentioned here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I couldn't get it connected to the WiFi for the cloud printing - even when I tried with my own PC laptop. The printer was asking for a WPS PIN which according to the internet is either (1) on the router or (2) on the printer. In my case it wasn't on either, so I tried to brute-force it with a USB cable.

When I have time and the ability to drink half a bottle of Scotch, I'll try again.
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:08 pm I couldn't get it connected to the WiFi for the cloud printing - even when I tried with my own PC laptop. The printer was asking for a WPS PIN which according to the internet is either (1) on the router or (2) on the printer. In my case it wasn't on either, so I tried to brute-force it with a USB cable.

When I have time and the ability to drink half a bottle of Scotch, I'll try again.
I dunno which router he's using, but the WPS PIN should be printed on it somewhere (it's typically on the bottom or back of the router somewhere near the serial number). Failing that, you can also find it by accessing the router through the default username/password on the WPS configuration page. But if the router has a WPS button you should be able to just press that and then select the network you want to connect to on the printer itself. Or if the printer also has a WPS button, first press the WPS button on the router and then press the WPS button on the printer, and it should automatically connect.

Anyway, I'd start with the basics if I were you. So make sure everything is completely up to date, i.e. ensure the router and printer are both running the latest firmware, and install all the latest Chrome updates. From what you've described in terms of the difficulty you've had connecting the printer to the WiFi network, I suspect the problem could well be obsolete router and/or printer firmware.