em2nought

I hate you godaddy

Post by em2nought »

Pretty much sums it up. :evil:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
em2nought

Re: I hate you godaddy

Post by em2nought »

Godaddy would rather sell me a complete new webpage for $1500 and $30 a month instead of just help me edit a few words on my perfectly fine existing website. I think I've figured it out, if I can just get them to help me upload the updated html. If I can't I'll keep at it even if it takes all week, but sure would be nice if they helped me and it only took ten seconds. I guess the old homestead was giving away the farm? It was so easy to make a page back then, and nobody tried to extort $1500 from me because only they have the wizards magical skills. Reminds me of Starforce ruining gaming for me. :evil:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Should be easy to upload an HTML file. Don't they have a gui file manager?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Should be easy to upload an HTML file. Don't they have a gui file manager?
Indeed. Worst case, you should still be able to upload via FTP.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Ditto, the above.. shouldn't be too difficult to do. Ask questions here if needed..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Thanks very much for the replies and offered help. I finally figured it out tonight after messing around with an easy online html editor, and then going into cpanel(?) and finding the couple files I wanted to edit, and then doing it the hard way by finding each entry in the html compared to the ease of the online editor. Hard part was not being able to figure out how to get it back from the online editor, but then finding my pages in cpanel made that unnecessary. LOL I'm pretty sure I've fixed it now, so easy. It kind of makes me irate at the guy that I used to have to practically beg to update it for me.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Getting rid of the reservation functioning proved more difficult. Had to learn how to <!-- comment it out --> , that way I can put it back someday if I need to.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Commented HTML still gets pushed to the client, and can be reactivated. Better to backup the original to a protected directory or offline storage than let someone go digging through stuff you don't want them to.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote:Commented HTML still gets pushed to the client, and can be reactivated. Better to backup the original to a protected directory or offline storage than let someone go digging through stuff you don't want them to.
I'm sure many things can be done better, but I'm good for now. I've got what I did written down in my tech bible so I can undo it someday if I have to. A backup, I'm not even sure I could find that on godaddy. I just stumbled across the proper files to edit while moving between dozens of files that I have no idea what they do. Might have to start thinking about improvements in the future though. If my end user can figure out how to reserve a unit now, I want their business. I might even let them be our webmaster, they won't like the zero pay though. :mrgreen:

I still sort of think that homestead must have been giving away the store way back when because it was just so easy to make a website there, compared to when I look at the html editor at godaddy.