Now my big Sony over-ear BT Headset is about dead

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Now my big Sony over-ear BT Headset is about dead

Post by Kasey Chang »

My Sony overear BT950 side fork cracked. Patching with Sugru didn't help as the OTHER fork cracked as well. Darn it. It works, but the pressure is uneven now.

I was checking Amazon and found this Avantree for $54, and it's got everything I seem to need: APTX, BT4, up to 40 hours battery life, wired mode (works w/o battery), even NFC pairing. They have a pro version with AptX low-latency, but I don't need that.

Any other viable choices for BT, over the ear, under $100? Not buying another Sony. This one was just... not robust enough.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Re: Now my big Sony over-ear BT Headset is about dead

Post by Daehawk »

You're really on a roll busting that hardware Kasey. Seems like it just isn't your time of the year.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The Sony lasted me 2 years. It was a refurb. I guess I should have used a HARD glue rather than Sugru as it's a little bit flexible.

But yeah, a lot of hardware failed on me this year. Hehehe. But then I tend to break them.

This is probably the 20th or so BT headsets I own. Most of them just die slowly. I've tried just about every style, from earbud to neckband to over-the-ear to ear hook. Most of them are indeed, junk. The BT I only use at home, but I think I broke it when I accidentally went to sleep (still wearing them) and turned. Work up with one ear that had an imprint on it. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just put in the order. Here's to hoping it fits my big head. :-)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote:My Sony overear BT950 side fork cracked. Patching with Sugru didn't help as the OTHER fork cracked as well. Darn it. It works, but the pressure is uneven now.
you want to use epoxy, not sugru....
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

hitbyambulance wrote:you want to use epoxy, not sugru....
Yep, said that too... in retrospect.
I guess I should have used a HARD glue rather than Sugru as it's a little bit flexible....
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

New headset is here. It didn't quite open as wide as the Sony, but the sides are metal, and it looks pretty good and fits my head (barely).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I don't know if this new headset will actually paly 40 hours nonstop, but it did do 12 hours and it doesn't sound as if it's any low on power. No DSP like extra bass, but otherwise it's very much like my Sony BT... even has a wired mode.

Can't get NFC pairing to work though.