Random drop to desktop

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DD*

Random drop to desktop

Post by DD* »

If I had hair, I'd be pulling it out...

Over the past month or so, I've been getting randomly dropped to the desktop. When this happens, whatever program I'm running gets minimized (Bioshock, Civ V, etc). I can click the program in the taskbar and go right back in with no problem. When this happens, I can sometimes see a window frame in the background that flashes up and immediately disappears, so I think I'm getting some sort of notification. If I'm in Firefox I'll see the "frame" but it won't minimize the window (generally).

I've looked in the event log but can't find anything. Nothing has changed with any of the start-up programs. I've started disabling some of the utilities that are running but that made no difference.

Any thoughts - it is completely annoying especially when gaming.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
stessier

Re: Random drop to desktop

Post by stessier »

Have you done a full virus scan?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
DD*

Post by DD* »

stessier wrote:Have you done a full virus scan?
I've got Security Essentials running and it shows nothing, but I think it's time to reinstall Malwarebytes and run it again. This is a fairly new box and I haven't gotten around to getting it set up "just so"...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Windows 10?

I've started seeing the same "box". I'm not sure about the other problem. The only game that I've been playing recently is Fallout 4. It does periodically CTD... but it's Fallout, so I wrote that off as normal.

Though now that I think about it, I may have had the same thing happen a few times with other games (that would be at least a couple weeks ago since I haven't been playing anything else recently).

But when I'm browsing, I'll occasionally have the outline of a box flash for a brief second before disappearing.

I think it started happening after the last Windows 10 update.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I fixed this last week. It's apparently related to Office 365 or the Office Task Scheduler and a known bug that they're trying to address. Let me dig up a link.

EDIT: Here.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm.... I don't have Office. Though, of course, Microsoft keeps wanting to sell it to me....

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Has anyone tried this with Win10? Does not appear to be supported per the requirements.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Smoove_B wrote:I fixed this last week. It's apparently related to Office 365 or the Office Task Scheduler and a known bug that they're trying to address. Let me dig up a link.

EDIT: Here.
Gotta be it! I have O365 and it did start happening recently! Typical half-assed Microsoft stuff.... sigh.

Rip

Post by Rip »

Yea, it was update crap that ran every hour. I had to fix mine as well.

I found the solution here if you haven't discovered the fix yet.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I don't have O365, but I still had it. :grund:

I tracked down a solution that will hopefully help.

Sadly, still getting Fallout 4 CTDs.

Black Lives Matter