Power supply issue?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lassr

Power supply issue?

Post by Lassr »

So my son built himself a new computer. his first time and it worked great to start but the old computer of mine he was using (about 8 years old, Intel Core2 Duo E6850) was working fine until I unplugged it and moved it upstairs to clean up and sell.

When I press the power button it turns on and off about 5 times before doing nothing. No beeps, just fan spin up and led lights on then it turns off, it tries again after about a second and does this loop about 5 to 6 times.

If I leave it plugged up for a while it will turn on and run normally. If I turn the computer off and leave it plugged up it will turn back on like normal. Only when it is unplugged from an outlet will it do this.

I think power supply which would be a cheap fix and worth the effort. Motherboard battery crossed my mind also but ages ago when I would run into this issue that is not how the computer would act. Anything else would not be worth it.

Any other thoughts from your experiences?
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Re: Power supply issue?

Post by hitbyambulance »

almost certainly a PSU issue. but what can you get for a Core2Duo desktop now? $10?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hitbyambulance wrote:almost certainly a PSU issue. but what can you get for a Core2Duo desktop now? $10?
someone offered me $75.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Missed opportunity.. Not one Power Supply in that list..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us