Name that PC hardware game

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Name that PC hardware game

Post by Daehawk »

Even if you win theres no prizes...well other than showing how good a memory you have or how good your Google Fu is.

Ok lets begin!

1990s hardware for the PC. It was NOT a sound card. It sat on my desk between my pc's sound card output and my 2 desktop speakers. It was made to enhance the sound for a single pair of speakers making them have a super stereo sound effect or a semi 3d surround'ish sound.

I used it about 10 years until I got my first set of true 4.1 speaker....Creative Sound Works in fact.

It was a black box a little bigger than a deck of cards. It had a power button, one or two or so switches, and a large volume knob. Oh and a headphone jack if you wanted to use them.

It really worked and worked well too! if Im remembering right you could turn the effect up or down to suit you. Not sure on that. I thought it was called Real3D but that doesn't bring up pc external hardware devices from the 90s. I then started thinking A3D but that was a card and software 3D sound thing that was a competitor to 3dfx's 3D sound.

This has been in my head for days. My memory is half there. I remember the look and the way it worked but the name has escaped into the ether.

I really dont want to have to go outside into an outbuilding damaged by a tornado with a leaky half of a roof and dig around to see if I even still own it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Name that PC hardware game

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sounds very much like the WOW Thing Box by SRS Labs:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mine wasn't a Wow Thing as I recall but SRS is the tech it used I think! Hmmm..I wonder if it was a WoW or something else. Off to look up SRS

Well I cant find one like mind. Its a lot like that but jet black plastic and not clear and didn't have big writing I dont think. Sooo close.

I found this video demo of SRS. Works with stereo speakers or headphones. Still amazing.
Johnhunt

Post by Johnhunt »

Great post.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You're not fooling anyone ya know.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote:You're not fooling anyone ya know.
Great post.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote:
Daehawk wrote:You're not fooling anyone ya know.
Great post.
Have you ever considered the value of great in the posts? When one sees posts they are often looking for the great but rarely are they finding any of the great. It would be a good time to mention the timeshares that also have the great whenever you see the posts. If you would click the link in my profile you will find much of the same posts of the great and opportunities for same.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter