Need an inexpensive MB + Proc combo

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

godhugh
Forum Admin

Need an inexpensive MB + Proc combo

Post by godhugh »

My dad is an MMO fan and, recently, burned out on LOTRO after playing it almost exclusively since launch. He would like to get into Final Fantasy XIV but the MB and processor in his desktop went bad and the laptop he played LOTRO on isn't powerful enough to run it. All the other components in his computer are sufficient, so I would like to just replace those for him. Does anyone have a recommendation for a really inexpensive replacement MB and processor? It just needs to be powerful to run that one game. Thanks :).
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Need an inexpensive MB + Proc combo

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'd probably go with the current PC Perspective System Leaderboard recommendations:
PCper.com wrote:Low End System Leaderboard

Processor AMD A10-7860K $110.00
Godavari just got a refresh, offering better power efficiency while retaining more or less the same performance as previous models. Josh took them and their new Wraith cooler out for a spin, showing that these still remain a great choice for a budget system, especially one without a discrete GPU.

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-D3HP $80.00
A Budget machine should not limit your possibilities and Gigabyte's GA-F2A88X-D3HP proves the point. USB 3.1 Type-C, 7.1 surround sound, eight SATA 6Gbps ports and much more are available on this motherboard, for well under $100. You can match most of these features on the GA-F2A88XM-D3HP microATX board if you prefer a smaller system.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sure you wont need new memory? Will his old video card be ok?

Also a AMD RYZEN 5 1400 4-Core 3.2 GHz is $164. Why did you pick that cpu over ryzen?..just curious.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote:Also a AMD RYZEN 5 1400 4-Core 3.2 GHz is $164. Why did you pick that cpu over ryzen?..just curious.
Price. Godhugh specifically requested "a recommendation for a really inexpensive replacement MB and processor."

With a more flexible budget, the PC Perspective System Leaderboard does also list recommendations for Ryzen processors in their Mid-Range and High-End Systems.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Your CPU is $110..I saw it as $150. Drugs.

Ok ok....

Newegg has the cpu Ab mentioned for $99 right now . LINK

But even better they have a combo of that cpu, a asrock mobo, and 8 gigs of gskill sniper ram for $199.99 LINK ...$189 if you send in the rebate. Same price as just cpu and mobo . Its like getting the ram free. :)

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Thanks for the ideas! I'll look into that deal on Newegg. That looks like it might be exactly what we need.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."