Wireless Connection Issues

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Wireless Connection Issues

Post by naednek »

I'm not sure when it started but for the last year I haven't been able to play FPS games in multiplayer due to lag. I've done speedtests and I usually get around 125+ mbps but for the last year it's been slower. Today it's in the 70's. Still not terribly slow, but the lag kills multiplayer. It's find for downloading and general usage.

I have the following

On my PC I have the following

TRENDnet TEW-726EC N600 Wireless Dual Band PCIe Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BL ... UTF8&psc=1

ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6825390001

ASUS RT-AC68W Dual-Band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6833320193

None of them are considered old in my eyes. 3 years old. Comcast says my modem is too old. I don't believe them. They jsut want me to rent from them. I work on IT and they are foolish to try and use scare tactics.

With that said, I'm not sure what's causing my problems. My PC is is one room away from the router\modem. Part of me thinks I should change the wireless adapter. But I'm not sure what is good. The one I have I bought because it received good reviews and it was cheap (I think $30)

So if you do think it's the adapter, what do you recommend? I realize wired is best, but it's not going to work for me logistically.

Thanks,
Ken
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Freyland

Re: Wireless Connection Issues

Post by Freyland »

"Have you checked to be sure everything is plugged in and turned on?"
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I don't know if this is an option but I recently picked up a three pack of the Google mesh Wi-Fi pucks and I couldn't believe how easy they were to setup and how they fixed my years-long wi-fi coverage / speed issues. First one takes an Ethernet port on your router or cable modem, mine is that combo "Dory" from Xfinity btw. Sounds like you could just use one, which they do sell. Here are a couple of comparison articles I found that tipped me over. May not be what you are looking for but wanted to put that out there.
-mf
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I would check for other wireless devices broadcasting on your channel, and/or maybe someone is hacking into your wireless network?

Maybe your device got hacked and you're part of a botnet! :shock:
There is no hug button. Sad!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

If the router supports AC then I would upgrade to an AC NIC instead of the N. I might even go 2x2 or 3x3 if the router supports it.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Are you sure it isn't your PC? Do you have a good video card?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Speed tests don't tell you much about latency. Have you tried running the ping test? What does it show?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Be sure your router is updated with the latest firmware, and replace it if it's more than two years old in any case. Look to see who is actually on your router. Twice I've had someone set up a server on my router, leading to lag. A firmware update fixed it both times. Routers are worth investing in, as they are your primary wall against hackers.
Black Lives Matter
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

MonkeyFinger wrote:I don't know if this is an option but I recently picked up a three pack of the Google mesh Wi-Fi pucks and I couldn't believe how easy they were to setup and how they fixed my years-long wi-fi coverage / speed issues. First one takes an Ethernet port on your router or cable modem, mine is that combo "Dory" from Xfinity btw. Sounds like you could just use one, which they do sell. Here are a couple of comparison articles I found that tipped me over. May not be what you are looking for but wanted to put that out there.
This solved all of my issues as well.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
naednek

Post by naednek »

Thanks for the suggestions.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

MonkeyFinger wrote:I don't know if this is an option but I recently picked up a three pack of the Google mesh Wi-Fi pucks and I couldn't believe how easy they were to setup and how they fixed my years-long wi-fi coverage / speed issues. First one takes an Ethernet port on your router or cable modem, mine is that combo "Dory" from Xfinity btw. Sounds like you could just use one, which they do sell. Here are a couple of comparison articles I found that tipped me over. May not be what you are looking for but wanted to put that out there.
I just picked up a set of these and give a big +1 time what Monkeyfinger says. I've gone through about 10 different combinations of routers and range extenders, and this is the first one that has really worked.

Finally, no more dead spots!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

gilraen wrote:Speed tests don't tell you much about latency. Have you tried running the ping test? What does it show?
This is what I'd suggest, too. On the other hand, going down to 70 from 12MBps is hinting towards a bad WiFi connection in general (or a naughty provider). Still, a ping would be a good starting point before buying new stuff.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

WiFi Analyzer app on Android to test the channel and throughput in each room. Pick an empty channel, and use 5GHz band as much as possible, it's lot less crowded.

I was thinking about upgrading to an AC or AD router, but NONE of my devices have AC. In fact, I'm using a powerline networking to take my signal upstairs, and I just bought 100 ft of ethernet cable ($7 on Amazon) so I can get a wired connection (I already have an Ethernet switch ready, and patch cables).
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
naednek

Post by naednek »

I have a new adapter coming in tomorrow. Updated the router today and no change.
naednek

Post by naednek »

The new wireless card made a huge difference, and I actually got a speed score faster than when I tested it wired.

I'm now at 178mpbs with no lag at all.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

But which one did you get?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kasey Chang wrote:But which one did you get?
sorry thought I linked it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4 ... UTF8&psc=1