water damage MacBook Pro

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

water damage MacBook Pro

Post by Xmann »

I'll save the details, but my son's MacBook Pro had someone spill a soda on it.

I put it in a bag of rice for a couple days in an attempt to save it.

It charges and boots up, but it's extremely sluggish. Cursor tracks very slow. Before the damage it booted fast and was fast.

I've never had a water damaged computer, so I don't know what to do.

This is a 2011 MacBook Pro that has a value of about $500, if not damaged.

So my question is, what are my options? Can a local tech guy fix this? Do I part out the pieces for $$?

My 14 year old son is a DJ and some idiot spilled a soda on his laptop and now my son is upset.

What can I do?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Anonymous Bosch

Re: water damage MacBook Pro

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Here's a 'definitive guide' for MacBook liquid damage courtesy of iFixIt.com. Suffice to say, properly dealing with and preventing corrosion is likely to be cost-prohibitive if you don't already own the necessary tools for the job. At this stage, avoid charging or powering it up at all, otherwise that may well further exacerbate corrosive damage (if possible, remove the battery, too).

Your simplest option is probably just to try selling it as is on eBay, being perfectly up front and honest about the liquid damage in the title and description. Clean it up as best you can, and include plenty of photos. Even a damaged or broken system should be worth something to those inclined to make the necessary repairs themselves, or that want it for parts.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

even if the spill was 'only' water, you really need to leave it unplugged, battery removed and out to dry for at least a week - preferably longer. rice alone won't fix this one - the extra sugar-like ingredients in soda are corrosive and will eat away at the system components if not thoroughly and properly washed off.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

took it to a local repair shop and they cleaned some corrosion off.

for now it's back to normal. hopefully it'll stay that way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just saw this post. Started to say it being a sugar soda it can gum up fans and such and a hot system is a slower system. Glad ya got it repaired.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"