Need new laptop advice -

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Cortilian

Need new laptop advice -

Post by Cortilian »

A friend is in need of a good laptop for her kid who is starting high school. Budget about 500.00

Browsing black friday ads is showing a lot of chaff and not much wheat. Hoping to locate her something in the 15" range with 16GB RAM and a good HDD and processor.

Any ideas?
hitbyambulance

Re: Need new laptop advice -

Post by hitbyambulance »

refurbed for best bang-for-buck. see one of my other posts in this forum for specific links.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Unless there's a reason to get a Windows system, consider getting a Chromebook instead.

Chromebooks are among the most secure devices you can get for non-technical end users, and are usually a good deal cheaper than comparable Windows systems. Better yet, if you prefer something more than the stock browser-as-OS plus extensions (and Android apps on some models), you can easily install a newbie-friendly Linux distro on a Chromebook to turn it into a fully-functional Linux laptop.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm Unless there's a reason to get a Windows system, consider getting a Chromebook instead.

Chromebooks are among the most secure devices you can get for non-technical end users, and are usually a good deal cheaper than comparable Windows systems. Better yet, if you prefer something more than the stock browser-as-OS plus extensions (and Android apps on some models), you can easily install a newbie-friendly Linux distro on a Chromebook to turn it into a fully-functional Linux laptop.
Check with the school before getting anything other than a Windows machine. They may require installing very specific versions of productivity software like Office, because will have limited student licenses only for certain versions of it. Also they may not have IT staff to troubleshoot issues with a Linux laptop. High school is not college, don't get creative with the tech - stick with what *they* know.

16GB RAM for under $600 is a stretch - but refurbs may get you there.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm Unless there's a reason to get a Windows system, consider getting a Chromebook instead.

Do you have a Chromebook? Are there any in particular you can recommend?
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Cortilian wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:16 pm A friend is in need of a good laptop for her kid who is starting high school. Budget about 500.00

Browsing black friday ads is showing a lot of chaff and not much wheat. Hoping to locate her something in the 15" range with 16GB RAM and a good HDD and processor.

Any ideas?
As always, go to techbargains
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I, having seen friends and family use their laptops, would strongly recommend getting one with an SSD for at least the OS drive. Best would be a laptop that had room for two drives, so a larger mechanical drive can be added later if needed. Every time I've taken a look at one of their laptops because they say it's not working good I see they have a 5400rpm mechanical hard drive. Everyone wants their laptop to work like their iPad and that's not gonna happen without an SSD.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Do you have a Chromebook? Are there any in particular you can recommend?
I have a 2015 Toshiba Chromebook 2, which makes for a superb Linux ultrabook. If you intend to use a Chromebook for Linux, I suggest consulting this useful buyer's guide and select a system with features that most appeal to you in your price range.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

There were actually a couple to three VERY good laptop deals during BF/CM, but about $100 above your range, which for me is the minimum to getting the features that I "must" have. Pretty much not going to find a VERY good laptop for under $600 IMO (talking about 13" to 14" screen size here). For $600 or a little more, you get what I consider to be bare minimums (I am good at laptops! The best!):

- IPS screen (crucial for me, TN absolutely sucks in comparison)
-SSD (also crucial for a laptop, and the biggest difference in the feeling of speed, not to mention the ability to wake and boot up very quickly compared to the old RPM'ers) Usually 256GB at this price point.
- 8GB Ram (minimum)
- lightweight(under 4 lbs)
- some of the models even had dedicated graphics cards, as opposed to the crappy built in Intel HD stuff you see on most laptops these days.
- 1080p minimum resolution for this screen size

Nice to have upgrades, but not quite deal breakers:
backlit keyboard
12 to 16GB of RAM
512GB SSD
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:12 pm I, having seen friends and family use their laptops, would strongly recommend getting one with an SSD for at least the OS drive. Best would be a laptop that had room for two drives, so a larger mechanical drive can be added later if needed. Every time I've taken a look at one of their laptops because they say it's not working good I see they have a 5400rpm mechanical hard drive. Everyone wants their laptop to work like their iPad and that's not gonna happen without an SSD.
Much better battery life too. Should never buy a laptop with anything else, unless you can replace it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.