Help / Suggestions for a new rig (PC)

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Bad Demographic

Help / Suggestions for a new rig (PC)

Post by Bad Demographic »

It's time to upgrade my old PC - mobo, cpu, video card, RAM, etc. and a lot has changed. Oh mighty Hive Mind - do you have suggestions? And what can you tell me about SSD drives?
Note: I have a power supply, a hard drive and dvd drive so I probably won't replace them.
I do play a lot of games.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Re: Help / Suggestions for a new rig (PC)

Post by TheMix »

I used to play a lot of games. :(

Which also means that I don't have much in the way of suggestions.

However, if you are upgrading, you might want to start with the recommendations from the major players. I think most of the online gaming sites/pc tech sites do listings of components for built computers. Pretty sure Daehawk has linked them multiple times.

e.g. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bes ... ,4390.html

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You can't go wrong with Tom's.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Bad Demographic

Thanks for the link - I found it a while ago but couldn't find it last time I looked.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can usually chime in but I haven't bought new stuff or looked deep into them in years. Stuff has changed and I dont even know prices. Have you looked at the other threads that have been started recently? If I was redoing it now Id stay Intel cpu , Gigabyte mobo, EVGA video, Gskill or Patriot ram...stuff like that.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I would also suggest the PC Perspective Hardware Leaderboard, which provides knowledgeable system and component recommendations across four price ranges (Low End, Mid Range, High End, and Dream System). They also do a fairly good job of keeping their guidance and recommendations up-to-date.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Bad Demographic

Thanks, all, for the ideas. I ended up going mostly with recommendations from Anonymous Bosch's thread. Parts have been ordered ---via the Amazon OO link -- and should arrive next week. If I'm energetic, I should have the new rig up and running by the following weekend (fingers crossed).

Black Lives Matter