CHKDSK don't fail me now

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: CHKDSK don't fail me now

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 pm I have a folder called Favorites containing (almost) all of my bookmarks from Firefox. Where do I drop that folder to make the bookmarks appear?
http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... 9#p2547209
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:12 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 pm I have a folder called Favorites containing (almost) all of my bookmarks from Firefox. Where do I drop that folder to make the bookmarks appear?
I do not know what this means: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

I tried dropping the folder in users/(name)/appdata/roaming/mozilla/firefox/profiles, and then in .../profiles/l3ht3ovi.default. Bookmarks did not appear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's a variable. Type it into a File Explorer window, hit enter, and it will take you to wherever your %APPDATA% is defined:

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm

I tried dropping the folder in users/(name)/appdata/roaming/mozilla/firefox/profiles, and then in .../profiles/l3ht3ovi.default. Bookmarks did not appear.

ok, so you'll want the places-sqlite file from your old *.default folder - that is where your bookmarks are actually stored. put that into your profile folder (again, *.default, which you successfully located).

another way to do it would be to export from your old copy of Firefox and then import in the new one, but i don't know if you have access to that anymore. but either way will work.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:16 pm

ok, so you'll want the places-sqlite file from your old *.default folder - that is where your bookmarks are actually stored. put that into your profile folder (again, *.default, which you successfully located).

another way to do it would be to export from your old copy of Firefox and then import in the new one, but i don't know if you have access to that anymore. but either way will work.
Nope, those are lost. All I backed up was the Favorites folder with all the bookmarks. Oh well, the bookmarks still work. Double-clicking them loads the pages into my new Firefox, where I will simply re-bookmark them as needed. It's a minor inconvenience.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

JCC wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:47 pm The Dell you ordered is such a good deal, Gamespot made it a news article!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/cheap ... 0-6456914/
Someday I hope to load a game onto it. So far QuickBooks is the most challenging thing it's run.

Next time I have some extra money Imma buy me Fallout 4. Been wanting to play that ever since it came out.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Nope, those are lost. All I backed up was the Favorites folder with all the bookmarks. Oh well, the bookmarks still work. Double-clicking them loads the pages into my new Firefox, where I will simply re-bookmark them as needed. It's a minor inconvenience.
What are the file extensions on those favorites? Firefox stores its bookmarks in a single file. I think you backed up the bookmarks from your old Internet Explorer (which is why you don't see all of your Firefox bookmarks). Copy those favorites to the Favorites subfolder under your user profile. Then tell Firefox to import bookmarks from IE.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:19 pm
JCC wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:47 pm The Dell you ordered is such a good deal, Gamespot made it a news article!

Someday I hope to load a game onto it. So far QuickBooks is the most challenging thing it's run.

Next time I have some extra money Imma buy me Fallout 4. Been wanting to play that ever since it came out.
Why not go ahead and grab Fallout Shelter? Its free on Steam and is quiet fun to play.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Biyobi wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:24 am

What are the file extensions on those favorites? Firefox stores its bookmarks in a single file. I think you backed up the bookmarks from your old Internet Explorer (which is why you don't see all of your Firefox bookmarks). Copy those favorites to the Favorites subfolder under your user profile. Then tell Firefox to import bookmarks from IE.
They don't display any extension. They are identified as "Internet Shortcut (URL)". It's quite possible that they came from IE because there's a shortcut to Bing, which I never would have created. I tried putting the Favorites folder under my user profile, but MS Edge does not find them, and wants to import from another browser or file. Also tried it under appdata/roaming/microsoft, and /internet explorer. No dice.
Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:31 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Why not go ahead and grab Fallout Shelter? Its free on Steam and is quiet fun to play.
Thanks, maybe I'll have a look at that this weekend.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:56 pm
Biyobi wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:24 am
They don't display any extension. They are identified as "Internet Shortcut (URL)". It's quite possible that they came from IE because there's a shortcut to Bing, which I never would have created. I tried putting the Favorites folder under my user profile, but MS Edge does not find them, and wants to import from another browser or file. Also tried it under appdata/roaming/microsoft, and /internet explorer. No dice.
Hmm, they won't load in Edge that way, but they should show up in IE. I know Win10 buried IE in favor of Edge so you may have to load "iexplore.exe" in the Cortana window.

In Edge, did you try importing bookmarks from IE? \users\kraken-user\Favorites is the default IE favorite folder and other browsers should look there when trying to import from IE.
Black Lives Matter