[Talk] Hypothetical upgrade 2-4 years out

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[Talk] Hypothetical upgrade 2-4 years out

Post by Daehawk »

Ok imagine that in 2-4 years someone wanted to upgrade their current 6 year old pc with parts available now. By then the current stuff would be cheaper and be a big improvement of their by then 10 year old parts. Each person can discuss their own ideas and comment on other builders / upgraders ideas.

Me right now.
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe mobo (yes I had to look up what I have because its so old I forgot..and Im old too)
intel i7 2400k
16 gig Gskill ripjaws
EVGA Nvidia GTX 700 SC OC ACX ...not sure if its 2gig or 4gig...think 2
Samsung SSDs and some mechanicals in there for storage.
Sound Blaster Z
29" ultrawide ASUS 299somethingsomething monitor

My idea may be totally out of sanity in 2 or 4 years but right now Im thinking if I do up grade it would be a new case, mobo, cpu, and video. Id keep the memory, monitor, and hard drives along with sound I have.

Mobo - Something Gigabyte. Just never been fully happy with ASUS since the first one arrived dead or something and its a tad weird in overclocking. I was fully in love with the Gigabyte I had before it.

CPU - Mmaaaaaaaaybe AMD Ryzen but more likely another Intel and probably a i7 4700 or 4800.

Video card - EVGA no matter what I think and maybe a 1070 ti. That is unless something else is out and the 1080 ti is much cheaper.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Punisher

Re: [Talk] Hypothetical upgrade 2-4 years out

Post by Punisher »

You'd probably have to scrap your RAM as well since the form factor will probably change.

To be honest, I feel that 2-4 from now in PC years is a whole different world. Your best bet is to ask again when you are ready to upgrade and just save up for that day.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or do what I do as a path to upgrade as a poor person: look at it as three sets of components - motherboard/processor/RAM, video card, and 'other.' Upgrade one per year. I save $25/month (which isn't a huge investment for a primary hobby.) It's enough that I can cycle through the three one per year, especially since the replaced parts get moved to the kids' computers.

So next I upgrade my mobo/proc/RAM. Then a year later I upgrade my video card. The year after that I get drives, keyboards, cases, power supplies - that sort of thing. The next year it is back to the mobo/etc. It keeps it running strong, but never represents a single huge output of cash.

Sadly, I haven't been able to save at all in the last eight months or so because things have been so short that $25 often means food budget, but the core plan has kept me going for a decade when waiting to get all-in-one upgrades wouldn't have let me keep gaming.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id love to have a 486DX4-100 again. one of my all time favorite chips along with a 486SX33 but I have to consider that Id like the machine to play stuff from 1994 - 1998 or so. So Im thinking Win 98 SE and perhaps a Pentium 166. Maybe even have to go P2. Dont think so though.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"