Yet another web hosting question

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JetFred

Yet another web hosting question

Post by JetFred »

So my wife closed her business website after two years with InMotion (I was impressed with their support in particular). I have had a crappy HTML '90s style webpage for my lists of crap since, well, the '90s (I'm talking GeoCities here), and now I don't have anywhere to put it. I left my two domain registrations with InMotion but they didn't have anything ultra-cheap for personal hosting. Is there anywhere left that won't confuse me with options where, for free or stupid cheap, I can dump my html files and link them to my already-owned domain? I mean places like Wix expect you to want all kind of features for free so you pay for it with ads or pay $100+ a year. I want to upload my crappy lists and be done with it. I don't NEED it at all, so it isn't worth paying anything.

Whatcha got?
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Yet another web hosting question

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

5GBfree and 000Webhost are decent options for free hosting, and both are ad-free.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Thanks. Do you know anyone who has used either?
I have but one advocate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I used 000 for a couple years for very basic stuff, and had no issues.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

JetFred wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:47 pm Thanks. Do you know anyone who has used either?
No, can't say that I do.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:30 pm I used 000 for a couple years for very basic stuff, and had no issues.
That's good to know.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Done and done. Looks like what I wanted. Thanks, both of you.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:41 pm 5GBfree and 000Webhost are decent options for free hosting, and both are ad-free.
By the way, 000Webhost is out from now on. They've started locking sites and sending out automated emails asking for copies of your PASSPORT to unlock it before they delete your files. Any other ideas?
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

Going with a cheap paid-for service is likely your best bet, as reliable free web hosts have become a disappearing breed. If you're set on sticking with a free service, check out this list of free web hosting providers but do keep their advice in mind:
TechRadar.com wrote:Because you are provided with a free service, the obligations usually attached to a paid subscription no longer exist, and you are usually left to your own devices when things go wrong. None of the free web hosting providers that passed our test could measure up with even the cheapest paid-for service on the market.

But there’s worse news still. We discovered that the websites of some free web hosting providers were not properly secured, which doesn’t generate much faith in their ability to deliver the level of service you’d expect from paid-for providers. Remember the old adage, ‘you get what you pay for’? Well, nowhere else in the tech business is this truer than with web hosting.

Our advice would be to steer clear of free web hosting services altogether unless absolutely necessary. Should you want to go ahead, this is our shortlist of the best free service providers out there.
Anonymous Bosch

Speaking of cheap paid-for web hosting services, the parent company of 000webhost = Hostinger.com. They have special offers for 000webhost users with hosting plans as cheap as $0.72/month (or $1.94/month for unlimited bandwidth).
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I'm having a hard time paying $35 to a company that just held my files for ransom while asking for my passport, even if it does mean I get to enjoy their services for 4 years.
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

JetFred wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:10 pm I'm having a hard time paying $35 to a company that just held my files for ransom while asking for my passport, even if it does mean I get to enjoy their services for 4 years.
That's a valid point. Fortunately, there are other low-cost hosting plans to choose from.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Thanks. I already use InMotion for my domain registration, and I paid them for a while for a business site. I might consider paying them something again.
I have but one advocate.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I use InMotion for Blue Hills. It's not dirt cheap, but it's reliable and their BoldGrid interface is easy to use.