Laptop Question

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tgb

Laptop Question

Post by tgb »

I still haven't replaced my antiquated system because money, but I expect to be able to do so next month. I had been planning to get a new desktop, but decided to get a laptop instead because all my work software is now cloud-based, and since I don't know how long I'll be in rehab once I have my hip replaced, I'd like to be able to work from bed, if necessary.

I've always hated the spongy laptop keyboard and trackball. Will my cordless mouse/keyboard work if I just plug the dongle in, or do I have to get something special?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
MonkeyFinger

Re: Laptop Question

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I don't know why it wouldn't just work... USB, I assume?
-mf
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

tgb wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:16 am I still haven't replaced my antiquated system because money, but I expect to be able to do so next month. I had been planning to get a new desktop, but decided to get a laptop instead because all my work software is now cloud-based, and since I don't know how long I'll be in rehab once I have my hip replaced, I'd like to be able to work from bed, if necessary.

I've always hated the spongy laptop keyboard and trackball. Will my cordless mouse/keyboard work if I just plug the dongle in, or do I have to get something special?
It should, yes.

Might want to consider a dock as well, especially if you will be using a standard desktop monitor with it. I find that docks are great for that transition from desktop to laptop.
tgb

Post by tgb »

It is USB, so I assumed it would work - I just wanted to make sure. I hadn't thought about continuing to use a desktop monitor, but my monitor is on its last legs, so I won't bother replacing it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

yes, if it's one of those 'wireless USB' dongles, it will Just Work.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ditto, I was using a wireless mosue on my desktop replacement laptop with a second monitor.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Here's an odd laptop question that doesn't need its own thread:

When I activated my laptop, Windows wanted a Microsoft account, so I gave it "marketing@curiocityonline.com." All went well, but now the default user/admin is named "marke". Can I change that, and if so how?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:25 pm Here's an odd laptop question that doesn't need its own thread:

When I activated my laptop, Windows wanted a Microsoft account, so I gave it "marketing@curiocityonline.com." All went well, but now the default user/admin is named "marke". Can I change that, and if so how?
That's not a laptop question, that's Windows 10/Windows 8 question. MS want you to tie your user account to an MS account. You wanted to opt of that but you messed up.

I don't have a a non domain connected 10 machine near me let me see if I can find destruction on line...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This looks correct

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... t-account/
Open Settings > Accounts and click Your info.
After confirming that the account is set up to use a Microsoft account, click Sign in with a local account instead.
Enter the password for your Microsoft account to confirm that you're authorized to make the change, and then click Next.
On the Switch To A Local Account page, enter your new local user name and password, along with a password hint, as shown here.
Click Next to sign out from the Microsoft account and sign back in using your new local account.
I've seen all kinds of weirdness with tying your Windows license in to your email/MS account.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's a Windows 10 on a laptop question. Close enough. :D

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to wait until I finish my current project, since it would be a PITA to close it so I can sign out.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

make sure you give the new user admin privileges
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Am I going to have to reconfigure my fingerprint scanner too? I do like just touching the button to sign in. Hopefully Windows will just handle that as part of onboarding a new user.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My guess is yes. It would make sense. You are basically creating a new user. Which means you will also likely have to move stuff created for your desktop/documents/etc... as well.