Wireless mouse/keyboard questions

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daveman

Wireless mouse/keyboard questions

Post by Daveman »

Besides a wireless mouse for my wife's laptop I've never needed or really looked into wireless devices until now. For Christmas we finally got a large flat screen TV for our finished basement, where my gaming desktop is. I didn't plan on connecting the two but my son had the idea so I ran an HDMI cable from the computer to the TV and it looks great.

We ordered what seemed to be a decent wireless mouse/keyboard combo off of Amazon, a Logitech MK270. The range listed for the devices is 10 meters which I thought would be OK. Depending on where you sit in the TV area it's 18-24' from the desktop PC.

We're not at all happy with the performance of the mouse, and especially the keyboard. On the closer 18' side of things the mouse is OK but will intermittently hang up now and then. Further than that and it will jump around notably. The keyboard seems to lose connection farther than 15' away so it's no good for what we want, but it also performs poorly even up close. I did some more reading online and made some small adjustments... moving the nearby wireless router further away from the PC, updating the drivers and put new batteries in the keyboard and mouse. Nothing has helped. The fact that the keyboard lags frequently even up close to the receiver suggests to me we have a defective one but I can't be sure.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? Is 18-24' asking too much of a wireless device if you want to play first person shooters and such? I was thinking I could discreetly put a wired USB hub that would likely get the receiver another 6' or so closer to the TV area if that would make a difference.
gilraen

Re: Wireless mouse/keyboard questions

Post by gilraen »

On paper, max range is around 30' but that implies clear line of sight between mouse and receiver. They are usually very susceptible to interference, even when advertised as "long range". You may fare better with a USB hub/extender.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

agree - i was going to say, do you have any cables (extension, hub or whatever) to bring the wireless dongle into Line of Sight of the keyboard/mouse?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Other than use a hub to bring the receiver to the "front", I have no further ideas.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Besides seeing .....put the reciever in front of your mouse and kb and to use a USB extender for it.......Ive seen a couple places recommend Adesso products for range. Looking on their site I was thinking they may use 5ghz band but its the overcrowded 2.4ghz. But still people recommend them for some reason so may be worth looking into.

http://www.adesso.com/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"