Malwarebytes issue eating up all your RAM

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Malwarebytes issue eating up all your RAM

Post by jztemple2 »

If you are using Malwarebytes AV, today there was an issue with an update that caused the MB services to start filling up all your RAM. They are working on a fix, but in the meantime you can do the following:
Go to the services app (I only know how to do it on windows 7 ... "control panel -> Administrative tools -> services"). Find "Malwarebytes service", and set its "Startup Type" to be "disabled". Then restart your system.
I had to disable MB on two computers. I'll post when I hear anything.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Re: Malwarebytes issue eating up all your RAM

Post by Daehawk »

I deleted mine yesterday I think it was. It updated to a free trial and its all that way now. no free. So the trial ended so I ended it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Malwarebytes has issued a couple of updates and the second one fixed everything, for those who are interested. According to them:
Update package version 1.0.3804 or higher contains the fix
• To resolve, simply reboot your machine. In some cases, a second reboot may be needed.
• To verify you have this update, go to Settings -> About -> Update package version: 1.0.3804
Frankly, if you were reasonably computer literate it wasn't much of an issue, using Task Manager to identify the problem (RAM being massively locked up) and checking Performance Manager to see that it was the MB services executable doing it. My disadvantage was that I was on my wife's computer and not my own which has a bunch of desktop diagnostic readouts, so it took longer to figure out.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:05 pm I deleted mine yesterday I think it was. It updated to a free trial and its all that way now. no free. So the trial ended so I ended it.
Malwarebytes anti-malware has always been free. The antivirus replacement version has always been pay. That hasn't changed.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:05 pm I deleted mine yesterday I think it was. It updated to a free trial and its all that way now. no free. So the trial ended so I ended it.
Were you using Malwarebytes as your active AV or did you have the active AV running along side another piece if AV software? If it's the 2nd one, you really shouldn't do that. If it's the first one and you now have no AV, PM me and I can help with that.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was using whatever malwarebytes is...its always been free. I would scan with it off and on and it worked with Windows Defender...i scan with it too. Somewhere over the years it seems to have switched to AV.

I found this page. http://techdows.com/2014/03/revert-to-m ... trial.html . And turned off free trial. It removed the live protection stuff. They must have just started this a month ago because it was last week when I updated it and it changed it to the trial even though I clicked free download. Guess I should pay more attention. So guess Im using Windows Defender as my AV.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:10 am I was using whatever malwarebytes is...its always been free. I would scan with it off and on and it worked with Windows Defender...i scan with it too. Somewhere over the years it seems to have switched to AV.

I found this page. http://techdows.com/2014/03/revert-to-m ... trial.html . And turned off free trial. It removed the live protection stuff. They must have just started this a month ago because it was last week when I updated it and it changed it to the trial even though I clicked free download. Guess I should pay more attention. So guess Im using Windows Defender as my AV.
Not sure how that could happen since there have been 2 versions of MalwareBytes for years.. The basic free one with no active infection.. Basically used to help get rid of malware after the fact and the premium version which includes active AV.
What I suspect happened is that when you installed the free one there was an option to opt out of the active protection trial (by default, it automatically installs this when installing the free version).
I have some extra codes for Norton 360 if you are interested. It's discontinued as a product, but it is still active and actively updated. It's what I have been using for several years now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you but Ill pass. Ive not used Norton in about 20 years due to varying reasons. But I appreciate the offer. Ill just stick with scanning with this free Malwarebytes, Windows security essentials(didn't it used to be windows defender?) and Ccleaner. I have windows firewall and router firewalls on for the bad stuff. Been getting along as is. Since starting in 94 Ive used so many things...Norton, ESET, McAfee, Avast, AVG, I think one called Panda..not sure...and many others Im forgetting. Never really liked any of them after extended use.

Thanks again though for the offer.
Jag

Post by Jag »

It was some bad code they posted. Just update MB and restart the PC. I had issues yesterday and it was fixed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:10 am I was using whatever malwarebytes is...its always been free. I would scan with it off and on and it worked with Windows Defender...i scan with it too.
It sounds like you were using the free anti-malware version, which is still free. It tries very hard to trick you into activating the premium trial. When that expires, it will make it sound like it's taking away your protection to get you to pony up, but all it does is revert itself to the original free version you've been using for years.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:26 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:10 am I was using whatever malwarebytes is...its always been free. I would scan with it off and on and it worked with Windows Defender...i scan with it too.
It sounds like you were using the free anti-malware version, which is still free. It tries very hard to trick you into activating the premium trial. When that expires, it will make it sound like it's taking away your protection to get you to pony up, but all it does is revert itself to the original free version you've been using for years.
You can turn off the nag from the Options button within the program. After telling you that you're making a terrible mistake, it won't bother you again.

I keep it installed and run a scan whenever I suspect that I might have been exposed to malware. Since that isn't very often, it usually wants to reinstall a new version, which starts the nagging over again. It does seem to have gotten more shrill in the past few months.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:41 pm
You can turn off the nag from the Options button within the program. After telling you that you're making a terrible mistake, it won't bother you again.

I keep it installed and run a scan whenever I suspect that I might have been exposed to malware. Since that isn't very often, it usually wants to reinstall a new version, which starts the nagging over again. It does seem to have gotten more shrill in the past few months.
I use a multitude of tools for the cleaning process, but generally just uninstall them after the cleaning is done. I have found that for some viruses, if the programs are already installed, the virus recognizes it and corrupts them. I have even seen signs a few times that made it look like the virus whitelisted itself.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's how I use it, too. I have antivirus that I keep active, but Malwarebytes is something I use during routine maintenance (cleaning up old files, checking drives, defragging non-SSDs, updating software/drivers, doing scans.) once every month or so.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Punisher wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:53 pm

I use a multitude of tools for the cleaning process, but generally just uninstall them after the cleaning is done. I have found that for some viruses, if the programs are already installed, the virus recognizes it and corrupts them. I have even seen signs a few times that made it look like the virus whitelisted itself.
Now see, I've heard of exactly the opposite problem: Viruses that can detect when you're installing antivirus programs, and either hide from them or prevent them from installing properly. I can readily believe that either tactic might be problematic, depending on your infection...viruses are resourceful little suckers.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The solution to the first is to keep your scanners updated with the latest build and definitions, as they update whenever something finds a way to fool them. The solution to the second is to not wait until you're infected to install defenses to infection. Although that doesn't help that rare case where a tough virus requires a different AV program to beat.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:22 pm
Punisher wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:53 pm

Now see, I've heard of exactly the opposite problem: Viruses that can detect when you're installing antivirus programs, and either hide from them or prevent them from installing properly. I can readily believe that either tactic might be problematic, depending on your infection...viruses are resourceful little suckers.
What has helped me with cleaning the infections after the fact (I do IT work, so I get a lot of this), is to install/run the cleaners in safe mode. This helps prevent "some" viruses from running. Although in some cases, you just have to Nuke From Orbit..
One of my coworkers started using Tron for cleanings.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I've used Malwarebytes anti-malware(free) for a long time, never had a problem with updating it. In the last couple of months it did update and somehow I then had a trial version. I do not click through the installation mindlessly, since I don't want them sneaking anything past me. At no time did I see any notice they were installing a non free version. Yet I had it. I had to manually switch it back. So I know that it does happen to people since it happened to me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I may stop using Malwarebytes. To me its a BIG no no that every time I have to update it that it installs or turns on the 14 day trial version and nags me until I go into options and deactivate it. Im not sure why it does it now or if they got bought out by some shit world China corp thing but Im not having it .
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:59 pm I may stop using Malwarebytes. To me its a BIG no no that every time I have to update it that it installs or turns on the 14 day trial version and nags me until I go into options and deactivate it. Im not sure why it does it now or if they got bought out by some shit world China corp thing but Im not having it .
Hmm, I have Malwarebytes Premium on two machines and haven't seen this issue. I just updated to the 3.4.4 release after getting a notification and it was pretty seamless. Did you get it through some third party distributor?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nope. Actually I thought its against some law for it to do it this way.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Maybe it's just some weird configuration issue. My standard advice would be to uninstall, delete all files related to MB in your User directories and then download a fresh copy. If you are ambitious you can also scan your registry for any remaining flags before installing a fresh copy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did all that a couple times. Actually it was someone on here that told me how to turn it off each time because they had the same issue. It was always fine until a couple months back when it replaced it with the trial version. Something about the company changed. I could not even download or install a free version any longer when someone showed me how to turn off the trial and revert it back to the free in settings. But each patch it redoes it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No I dont have a popup on reboot. rebooting is fine. Its just after it patches itself. I can reboot all day and I can manually have it update the stuff it scans for no prob. But if it says it needs to install to the latest version then it will patch and then Im on trial again. Theres no way to uncheck anything..only option is to install. Then it nags me about being a trial and having 14 days. So I have to open it, go to account and settings and click 'deactivate trial' then it snidely tells me i wont get real time protection and stuff and thats that finally. It never used to be this way. I think someone bought them. Im about tired of it. I can live without it. I also use the windows defender thing.

Still should be against some law with no way to install what you want and such. Seems malwarebytes itself has become a spam app.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, you could always post to the Malwarebytes forum. From the look of that forum posting that Blackhawk listed, there do seem to be some smart folks there.

I do recognize how frustrating a problem like this can be, something that you experience that no one else seems to encounter :grund:. I've worked with computers for almost forty years and I think that deep down, it's not the AI that's going to kill humanity, it's the glitches.