New Computer

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

New Computer

Post by Octavious »

My computer needs to be taken out back and shot. I have zero inkling to build one myself right now so I'm buy something off the shelf. What I have linked below looks perfect as I'm not trying to set the world on fire, but I have a silly question. With how the video cards are going nuts in price right now, is there any reason I couldn't rip that out and sell it for 500-600 bucks? I have a decent card already that I can toss in and I can't imagine prices will stay like this forever.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by ... Id=5759917
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Re: New Computer

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Better measure your card and the available space in that box. HP and "computer company" cases can be notoriously small (good and bad thing depending on your needs obviously).

I received an Asus desktop to review and was going to replace the crappy vidgie card that came with it, with my old school ish GTX 760 (monster), but it would not fit. The case on my Asus is quite different looking than the one you linked to, though, but the one you linked to is relatively small (smaller than ATX sized).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well the card I have is smashed into an even smaller Dell so I *should* be fine. I'm going to jump all over this if I can legit sell the card for 500 or so bucks. That makes the computer super cheap. I just feel like it's too easy and I'm missing something. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:56 pm Well the card I have is smashed into an even smaller Dell so I *should* be fine. I'm going to jump all over this if I can legit sell the card for 500 or so bucks. That makes the computer super cheap. I just feel like it's too easy and I'm missing something. :lol:
Well, since I just went through this (upgrading the guts of my desktop), I can break it down for you.

You could absolutely sell that card, and very quickly too, I might add. Let's say $575

That leaves you with $574 for a desktop with mediocre, generic parts (may be ok, but personally I like to pay a little more for trusted, quiet and efficient brand components, ymmv). That Intel CPU sells for under $300, leaving $274 for the non SSD 1TB drive ($40 to $50), a cheap motherboard (probably $40), and 16GB of RAM ($150 to $160). Note also that this is an older motherboard with DDR4, not DDR5.

So IMO, not a great opportunity if you are just interested in selling the video card for profit. The parts minus the video card are not that great of a value.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Wasn't looking to make money. Just gey a decent upgrade for dirt cheap. They had a better ibuypower one in the store with a nice case and has a ssd. So I grabbed that. :) We'll see if I end up selling the card.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Best Buy sells ibuypower PC’s? Interesting.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

yup and interest free for 12 months

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Got this...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower- ... Id=5727100

Other had a better video card but I'm going to sell this and keep my current card so whatever. Case is future proof if not a bit gigantic. And it has a ssd.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

that mouse regularly goes on sale for $4, heehee
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mouse and Keyboard will be tossed in the river as soon as I know the computer is fine. :lol: I'm trying to figure out how the hell you add another HD. The case is confusing and there's no documentation. So I have that going for me. :lol: