Steam Memory Leak?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Steam Memory Leak?

Post by Rumpy »

I've been having a memory issue for several months now. I'd been wondering why my computer had seemed so slow, and I think I have it narrowed down to Steam. I had been leaving it on all day and by night time my computer would be very sluggish. If I exit Steam, I immediately notice a difference and I get my speed back. Anyone have an issue like this with it? It'd been getting so bad lately that it would make everything pause, often minutes at a time, making usage of my computer a frustrating experience.

I'd wondered if maybe it was a recent update. The only other thing I can think of is that about a year ago, I set Steam to run in administrator mode as I had added SWTOR to it and the only way to get the overlay working with it was to do that, but I've since switched it back to running regularly, although everytime it looks like it's installing an update and maybe something got a little screwy. I don't know if at this point I should try reinstalling Steam.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Re: Steam Memory Leak?

Post by Alefroth »

Not sure if it's related to a memory leak or not, but it's definitely been acting funky the past week or so. Most noticeable is that where my mouse cursor is in the UI is not where it's recognized to be. In other words, I have to place my mouse cursor a little beneath what I want to click on. A restart is required, but it often locks up when shutting down. It seemed to start happening after I installed Aliens: Colonial Marines. That game would just keep starting automatically. I'd close it and it would just start up again. I eventually had to uninstall it.
Rumpy

Re: Steam Memory Leak?

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I've come to realize that it's not Steam, but something going on with my PC overall. I've decided to do a windows reinstallation, and taking the opportunity to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, and I'll consider this a bit of spring cleaning.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti