SEC _ERROR_BAD_SIGNATURE

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

SEC _ERROR_BAD_SIGNATURE

Post by Rumpy »

I've come across a very annoying issue in Firefox ever since I've upgraded to Windows 10. Now many websites in Firefox are throwing up an SEC_ERROR_BAD_SIGNATURE and preventing me from going to them. I've heard that deleting a certificate might fix the problem, but annoyingly many of the websites giving solutions also throw up the error for me. Has anyone come across this?

I have one hunch on why this is happening. I backed up my Firefox settings via MozBackup, the entirety of its settings including certificates and restored them to the new installation, and I realize now that transferring certificates from one OS to another might pose a problem. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Re: SEC _ERROR_BAD_SIGNATURE

Post by Pyperkub »

This will get you to the certificates in Firefox. You may need to click around in Certificate Manager to find the Servers tab, or Others, and see where the defective sites are and test just one first.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, but I can't even get to that website. :?

If I bring up the Security Manager in Firefox:

In the Servers tab I only find two:
DigiNotar Root CA
DigiNotar B.V

Under Others I have nothing.

Under Authorities, I have quite a few.

Edit: Ok, so I've seen that in certain instances, the way HTTPS monitoring works in AV software somehow triggers this in Firefox. I run NOD32, and under setup and Web Access Protection and under Web Protocols, I find the HTTPS scanner settings. Sure enough, if I disable that and check the affected websites, the websites then work. But is it safe to run without it?

I had that running when I had Windows 7, but it seems like it works slightly differently in 10.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sorry, I use the https everywhere firefox plug in (which is probably why it pasted as https).

yeah, if it's the A/V that's the problem, there may be a way to tweak the NOD settings (though it may impact your Tiberium harvesters...). Probably in their support forums (though your Harvester AI May vary...).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, it actually explains a lot, as after that started occurring, there were other glitches likely related to SSL filtering like images not appearing correctly, making image heavy websites not load correctly, but disabling it fixes it. I think I'll keep it turned off unless advised differently.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

it's a known issue. Here's a support article from ESET that walks you through how to solve it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, there had been lots of reports from AV issues in general which is what led me to trying. Thanks. :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Looking at that website, I only have the Antivirus and not the security suite. The difference lies in the options available. And at version 10, I don't have the option for root certificates. I only have the option to turn the filtering on or off.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:02 pm Looking at that website, I only have the Antivirus and not the security suite. The difference lies in the options available. And at version 10, I don't have the option for root certificates. I only have the option to turn the filtering on or off.
Oh well. Sounds as if your only option is to leave it disabled then.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, going to call my computer guy and see what he thinks. NOD32 was installed before Firefox was, but I'm assuming that shouldn't be much of an issue.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Man, no oldschool C&C fans around? What a waste of a good pun.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.