Keyboard cleaning

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Keyboard cleaning

Post by Daehawk »

Been wanting to clean my keyboard for months. Got up today and just could not stand the dirty KB any longer. Wasn't as bad as I figured it to be but also learned a few things as I went. Had to do a few things twice because Im me.

NEED:
Tools
time
work area
sink
pain meds..at least for me :)

Ok lets see. It would usually take about 3 hours or so if you give the keys time to dry on their own but I cleaned and dried each by hand and then used a hair dryer on them. So total work time was about 1 1/2 hours. Also the keys are not all the same shape. There is a long side and a short side to them and as I went I learned how what went where. Also I put the big keys on first then the unique ones and finally the normal ones. Learned its best to go from top to bottom on the big keys as getting to that metal clip underneath is hell if you dont.

Most importantly...take pics of your kb first before you start so you know what goes where when it comes time. I did that then printed the pics out to go by.

Here she is dismantled
Enlarge Image

keys being soaked and rinsed
Enlarge Image

This stuff here are the metal clips/springs under the big keys. The little black pieces are what go into the back of the key then the metal fits that. Its actually very handy that way and you wont break a piece off trying to remove or add the clip. But you can lose one damn easy I bet.
Enlarge Image

This is my setup while reassembling. Notice Im working on the stove. I have a bad crik in my neck and back and this worked best at the height.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

This is down to the tough part.
Enlarge Image

Uh oh...oohh cra...oh wait there it is.
Enlarge Image

Learned:
Never do this with a crik in your neck / back
Have what you need handy (alcohol, keypuller,swabs,time, PATIENCE, meds if you dont have that, reinstall top to bottom)

Overall not a bad 1 1/2 hours work. The only thing I did not do is add a dab of Vaseline to the little metal clip . I started to but saw it was going to be hell and messy and would just grab dust yet again. So trying it without the lube and if it is bad Ill fix it next cleaning.

One last point...be careful! After I got the keys off I turned the kb over to pry the top off to clean that white plastic piece so it would glow good. I had my screwdriver in hand and was just about to start when I noticed one footpad was missing and there was a screw under it. If Id pried I would have broken it for sure. I figure there was a screw per pad so decided NOT to take them off and take it apart further. I figured the pads would never stick as good again and left it alone. I used ear swabs and alcohol to clean the white plastic piece instead. Saved me work too. :)
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Re: Keyboard cleaning

Post by gilraen »

You have way more patience than me. I just grab some cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol and swipe the top of the keys and in-between the rows as much as I can.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I cleaned my work keyboard the other day. Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite. One of the Shift keys is a bit finicky. My big win is that I didn't remember my own bad experiences with removing the space bar, and it's working just fine after being replaced a time or three. The plastic side clips aren't in mint condition any more, but sometimes you have to break a few eggs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not hugely patient. The little clips required a lot of tedium acceptance from me :) But when I do something I want to do it right...right as I can anyways.

I was also very careful not to clean the switches themselves. They should have a little lubrication on them and I did not have anything to replace it with if I cleaned it off.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:43 pm The only thing I did not do is add a dab of Vaseline to the little metal clip . I started to but saw it was going to be hell and messy and would just grab dust yet again. So trying it without the lube and if it is bad Ill fix it next cleaning.

White silicone grease is what you want for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont keep that on hand.
Rockalbert

Post by Rockalbert »

I think cleaning with glint keeps hardware like a brand new.
sheepadoodlepeekapoocannabinoidhyperemesissyndromecleidocranialdysplasia

infantigo
Last edited by Rockalbert on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I buy a new keyboard. My keyboards get bad.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fitzy wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:37 pm I buy a new keyboard. My keyboards get bad.
Dishwasher first. If it works, great. If not, I get a new keyboard.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Years ago I used to wash my keyboards in the sink and hang them out on the line. Never had one fail.