(NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID) in Chrome

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

(NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID) in Chrome

Post by stessier »

My sister is getting this error in Chrome when trying to go to any and all sites.
Your connection is not private, blah, blah...(NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID)
Everything was working fine and then yesterday her landlord changed the cable modem and now this problem is occurring. We started by unplugging both the modem and router, waiting, plugging in the modem, waiting, and then plugging in the router. We restarted her computer and proceeded.

We double checked that the time is correct on her computer. We cleared the browser cache completely. She is only using Windows Defender for her virus scanner. The problem persists.

Any ideas? I'm trying to trouble shoot this from 1200 miles away. :)

Edit: The sites she is using to test for the issue are google.com and netflix.com
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Re: (NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID) in Chrome

Post by Rumpy »

If you scroll down some, you'll see I had another kind of Certificate error that reared itself after I upgraded to Windows 10. I solved it by turning off HTTPS filtering. Maybe something similar can be done with Defender?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti