Time for a video card upgrade maybe

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: Time for a video card upgrade maybe

Post by AWS260 »

Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:09 am Also, do you have a link for that discussion about the RTX2080 and BF V? I am interested in knowing more.
Several people reported on the not-great raytracing performance of the RTX 2080 Ti during the hands-on demos at Nvidia's launch event. Anandtech:
Starting with Shadow of the Tomb Raider... the game was rendered in 1080p and capped at 60fps with the graphics settings locked, but I could definitely notice framedrops, even though the gameplay was rather slow-paced.

For Battlefield V, the situation was similar with a 1080p 144Hz monitor, playing on the Rotterdam map over LAN. There were framedrops during fast-paced scenes and in general it didn’t seem like it could keep up with the game. Again, there was no FPS info available but the RTX 2080 Ti was almost surely not cranking out constant 60fps.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

And here's a more technical and optimistic take an raytracing performance from Eurogamer.
Right now, our concern is that if RTX 2080 Ti is the target, what about the less capable RTX 2070 and RTX 2080, both of which have less ray tracing acceleration? Well, there are two parts to the performance equation which are still being looked at before release. At the moment, the ray tracing resolution is a 1:1 match with your chosen rendering resolution - so ray tracing is done at 4K if your rendering resolution is 4K, for example. Likewise, the size of those BVH structures in GPU memory not only increases and decreases based upon the complexity of the scene, but they increase in size with resolution as well so there are VRAM implications here.

Tailoring the game to work on different levels of hardware at different frame-rates and within different memory limitations is being actively investigated. To allow users to achieve their desired frame-rate targets with RT reflections on, the DICE engineers mentioned their desire to give the player greater control over the quality of ray tracing in comparison to the rest of the game's visuals. This could mean controlling either the amount of rays shot per pixel or scaling the RT resolution independently of the rendering resolution. To illustrate, ray tracing could be carried out at 1080p or lower while the rest of the game is actually rendered at a higher resolution. Other potential options include intelligent upscaling of lower resolution RT outputs, using AI-based reconstruction or even checkerboarding.

Given how crisp and accurate the reflections already look at 1080p, I imagine this would a great way to allow players to have better frame-rates or higher resolutions while keeping RTX enabled. In short, it's about giving the appropriate sliders and selectables to the player, rather than a simple on/off toggle.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, finally got my new card installed. The 1050Ti. What was supposed to be a simple procedure was anything but. Simple, just plug in cable to new card, right? I have two hard drives and had to move one of them in order to even get it to fit, then needed to find a cable to connect to that with an angle plug, then found out I should really put in a higher power supply so upgraded that to a 500W from a 380W. And then when all was said and done, an hour and a half had gone by. I didn't realize it at the time, but I guess I could have gone by with the non Ti version of the card seeing as I don't even use a second monitor, but it's nice to know I can always add one in the future.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I don't normally enjoy this kind of thing, but Gamer Nexus's disassembly of a 2080Ti is pretty entertaining. So many screws!

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, somewhat disappointingly, I'm getting a lot of CTDs in games with the 1050Ti. I've heard that it's common among the 10 series cards though. I get about 10 min into a game and then boom, CTD. I've heard that a solution is to completely remove former drivers to avoid any conflicts, but I'm not so good with tech hardware as I was in the past. What's the easiest way? And does anyone else have any experience and suggestions with these cards?

About the only game I'm not having any issues with is ATS. I'd played quite a bit of Ryse, which kept crashing. Thought I'd try a different game, installed Shadow Warrior 2, crashing. My latest purchase, Witcher 3 crashes 10 minutes in. I'm getting frustrated and disillusioned especially after having spent a good chunk of cash on a card, which is something I almost never do. I've never really had this tier of card before, aside for the very first GeForce generation. For once, I'd like for something to just work so that I can get back to gaming, without feeling like I'm walking on eggshells all the time.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

The easiest way? Probably the "clean installation" option when you install the drivers. It's under the "Custom (Advanced)" option.
-mf
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, that one's pretty self-explanatory. But I wasn't the one to install the card and never saw the option.

The other thing I've slowly come to realize is that I maybe also have a bottleneck issue. CPU is an i5 660, a first-gen i5 dual core with hyperthreading, which is likely fine with older games but probably giving me a bottleneck when it comes to newer games like Witcher 3. I guess I'll have to try it on low settings.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:35 pm Ok, that one's pretty self-explanatory. But I wasn't the one to install the card and never saw the option.

The other thing I've slowly come to realize is that I maybe also have a bottleneck issue. CPU is an i5 660, a first-gen i5 dual core with hyperthreading, which is likely fine with older games but probably giving me a bottleneck when it comes to newer games like Witcher 3. I guess I'll have to try it on low settings.
The new cards are designed to work with UEFI bios, which I doubt a computer that old uses. They can and do work with a legacy bios lots of times, but that's not what they were designed for. So you have motherboard/videocard, motherboard/Windows, game/Windows, game/videocard drivers as possible points of origin for the CTDs. Witcher 3 does use the CPU quite a bit, so lower settings would be preferable.

Update the motherboard bios, if it's not already on the latest one. Make sure Windows is patched and up to date, make sure the games are too. Then I'd look for specific information about that make/model of card when running those specific games and that specific version of Windows. I'd also run a general purpose tool, like 3dmark, just to stress test the computer with the card and verify that everything is functional. I don't recommend you use games for this purpose since each game can have issues unique to the game, which means it can't be a reliable indicator of functionality.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I'm starting to think one of my next upgrades will be the Motherboard and CPU. It was released in 2010, so old enough. In a few years it will be 10 years old.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, as it happened, new drivers came out tonight and I did a clean installation like you pointed out. Put the game on low settings, not a single crash and got to play it for an hour. Game might not look the greatest on low settings but hey, I'm playing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That cpu is old as hecky but you should be able to do better than low on a 1050ti. My build is from 2011 and I only have a donated 950 gtx and ran Witcher 3 most all high.

As for bottlenecks this video may help you identify them. It may give you an idea on a cpu upgrade. I bet your board could support a better one and if its using a cpu that old its probably a cheap upgrade.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, thing is, the motherboard is already limited in what it can accept, dating me into what I'd be able to put in there. I figure it would be better getting something more recent so that I'd at least get a little bit of future proofing. I don't even think my current one is still supported.

As for Witcher 3, I'm going to play with the settings a bit and see if I can't get it looking better.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Might try using GeForce Experience to optimize graphics on it. Dont have to even apply them just see what it shows it would use. It shows both what its set at and what it would change side by side so its handy.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, problem solved! Dae, you reminded me that I used to be able to play games on higher settings, and what I used to do to get more demanding games working correctly. It's easy to forget in retrospect what sometimes needs to be done, and sometimes it's just stupid simple things that I thought I'd never have to do again. Closing Firefox and putting the antivirus into gaming mode is what really helped. Then I tried the game on high settings and omg, it worked perfectly! No crashes, and beautiful fluid framerates. Joy! :D

I guess all of that going on in the background was making the CPU choke leading to crashes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yay! Glad you got her running nicely. Ive not heard of antivirus doing that or 'gaming mode'. Happy it worked though. Come to think of it in the old days Norton Utilities used to take up a ton of resources. Its why gamers stopped using it a long time ago.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, I use NOD32, and it's supposed to be light on resources, though I guess the combination of my aging CPU and having too many things running in the background kind of pushed things over the edge. NOD32 has this gamer mode which essentially "offers performance optimizations for games and presentations" by "disabling pop-up windows, updates, scheduled tasks, reducing CPU usage." It's the first time I've really had to do that, but given it's a more demanding game, it makes sense.

Says here it's supposed to activate by default when it detects any fullscreen application, but come to think of it, I remember it being engaged when I was on windows 7, but I hadn't seen it happen after my Win10 upgrade. Maybe it's a bug.

https://support.eset.com/kb3330/?locale ... cale=en_US
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heads up. looks like the best cheaper graphics card is in range again..the GTX 1070 ti cards are around $375 again on Newegg at least.