How do you get Windows 10 to do a full reset?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

UsulofDoom

How do you get Windows 10 to do a full reset?

Post by UsulofDoom »

When I shut down windows 10, I select the power, then shutdown. When it powers back up the browser(internet explore and chrome ) are still open to the last page as I shut down. I want a full reset like windows before did. If I do restart the same thing happens.

Power and sleep options are set to shut down and sleep is do nothing. Shutdown setting turn on fast start up ,sleep and hibernate are unchecked.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
stessier

Re: How do you get Windows 10 to do a full reset?

Post by stessier »

Shutdown and restart work for me like you wish it would work for you.

For Chrome, check and make sure the Settings didn't get changed to "Continue where I left off".
You probably have the option set to "Continue where I left off" in Chrome settings. Click the 3-bar icon in the upper right hand corner of the Chrome page and type "startup" in the search box near the top of the Settings page. That should display the "On startup" section of the settings. You have 3 choices there:
Open the New page tab
Continue where I left off
Open a specific page or set of pages
You can choose which option you prefer. The first gives a fresh start every time with the New Tab page. The second reopens all of the pages that were open the last time you closed Chrome. The third allows you to choose one or more specific pages that should automatically open whenever you start Chrome. There is a link to control which pages you would like opened
Not sure if IE has something similar.

Edit: IE does have the same setting - under Internet Options -> General there is a Startup section. Make sure you're not on "Start with tabs from the last session."
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

The problem is not open to last session. If I close my browser and reopen, it does not show the last session. When I shut down it acts like I hibernated and shows the same desktop with the open windows. It should show a blank desktop with no open windows.

Startup is set to stark with home page.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ah.

Try shutting down your computer and unplugging it for one minute. If that gets you the state you want, then something isn't letting it truly shutdown when you choose Shutdown.

Does it look like it's Shutdown when you choose that option? All lights off? Did you recently install the Creator's Update? Is this a laptop or desktop?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't think this is your problem because you said Restart doesn't work as well, but have you tried turning off Hybrid Shutdown?

Scroll down to Solution 1 on this page.
stessier

Post by stessier »

This article gives a few other ways to do what I think is the same thing, but they seem to describe exactly what you are seeing...except for the Restart button.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have a desktop gadget that shows both current and cumulative uptime. I shut this machine down every night and turn off the power strip, and yet the current uptime says 20d 19h 21m. I had thought that's because gadgets are not supported anymore, but now this thread makes me wonder. Every now and then it does reset to 0, and I have no idea why.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Kraken wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:06 pm I have a desktop gadget that shows both current and cumulative uptime. I shut this machine down every night and turn off the power strip, and yet the current uptime says 20d 19h 21m. I had thought that's because gadgets are not supported anymore, but now this thread makes me wonder. Every now and then it does reset to 0, and I have no idea why.
By default, Windows 10 is set to do a partial hibernation when you shutdown.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:21 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:06 pm I have a desktop gadget that shows both current and cumulative uptime. I shut this machine down every night and turn off the power strip, and yet the current uptime says 20d 19h 21m. I had thought that's because gadgets are not supported anymore, but now this thread makes me wonder. Every now and then it does reset to 0, and I have no idea why.
By default, Windows 10 is set to do a partial hibernation when you shutdown.
This. Windows lies. When you reboot, you shutdown and restart. When you shutdown, you do a sort of sleep so you start faster. To do a full shutdown while avoiding the power cut off refer to Deahawk's link or

https://winhelp.co/knowledge-base/fully ... dows-10-2/
Right click on desktop and select “New>shortcut”

On shortcut location type “shutdown /s /t 0” (without quotes).

Click Finish, and shortcut is ready!
From now on, every time you double click “Shut down” shortcut, Windows 10 will do a full shutdown.