Using Intel NUC as wireless and wired router?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Using Intel NUC as wireless and wired router?

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Anyone here has experience in turning Intel NUC into a Linux based router?

Instead of getting a powerful router, I'm thinking of just getting a cheap Intel NUC to use as router.

Intel NUC only has a single network port, if I assigned multiple ip to it and combine with a cheap hub, is that possible? Using the same port to connect to the modem router (which has built-in router which I don't use except to forward everything to a Intel NUC router) with one subnet then use the same network port as a separate subnet for the LAN so it'll be double NAT but I'm usong the same double NAT with my current router setup.

Also can I share the same LAN subnet with the wireless network and allow devices connected using wired and wireless to communicated with each other. Or I need to have different subnets for the wired and the wireless NIC and setup LAN routing between the two subnets?

I need a separete router mainly because my ISP intercept port 53 and redirect that to their DNS server which is less stable and has problem with netflix so I have to either use DNSCrypt or DNS over https or just access DNS using alternate port like what opendns supports. I can use just DHCP and DNS server for that but might as well do the whole router with the linux box which will be far more powerful than any cheap router or the modem router.