Bluetooth mp3 player

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Bluetooth mp3 player

Post by ImLawBoy »

My oldest son is taking the bus to school each day, which is a 45-60 minute trip each way, depending on traffic. Previously mom drove him, but now he's finally on official transport. We'd like to get him an mp3 player so he can listen to music other than the gospel stuff his driver plays. My son is deaf, but has cochlear implants that allow him to hear. Because technology is cool as hell, he actually has an adapter that can stream audio directly into his brain via bluetooth. We're looking for something that meets the following requirements:

- Bluetooth (duh)
- Small, but decent capacity
- Battery life that will last at least 2 hours per charge using bluetooth
- Simple operation - we'll have to start it when he leaves home, and a teacher or staff will have to start it for the ride home

His birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks, so we'll want to get it by then - Amazon Prime would be nice.

Thanks!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
gilraen

Re: Bluetooth mp3 player

Post by gilraen »

SanDisk Clip Sport Plus - the only bluetooth model from SanDisk, solid reliable choice, very simple to use but not exactly cheap.

AGPTEK and Dansrue are also good brands, and considerably cheaper than SanDisk (I heard good things about Dansrue, don't know much about AGPTEK since they are fairly new). Couple of links below, or you can just search Amazon for their bluetooth models.
Dansrue
AGPTEK
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

inb4 someone mentions 'old(er) cel phone with no mobile service/SIM card'
stessier

Post by stessier »

I recently did this search and settled on the XO6 by TIMMY.

Had good reviews and was recommended from a site that listed the top 10 bluetooth MP3 players. Good price, relatively easy operation. Will accept a microSD card, but comes with 16GB on board memory. It claims 50 hours of playback on a charge - I can only confirm 8 (it wasn't dead, that just when I chose to recharge it). It has a switch to turn it on/off (rather than a long button press like others). And Amazon Prime eligible!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Good stuff - thanks. We'll look at these (and any others that surface) and see what fits us best.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

if i were in the market for one, my personal requirements are OGG Vorbis and FLAC support and FM radio tuner.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

gilraen wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:43 pm SanDisk Clip Sport Plus - the only bluetooth model from SanDisk, solid reliable choice, very simple to use but not exactly cheap.
Pick the red or blue version will result in almost $10 price drop to like $48.

Other considerations:

https://www.amazon.com/HONGYU-Player-Bl ... 0744CKVTF/

https://www.amazon.com/DeeFec-Bluetooth ... 071J41P4Y/

These are cheap because they don't have built in mem, but relies on a cheap 8GB microSD card. You can buy a bigger one if you need it.

IMHO, instead of music, I'd check if your local library can lend audiobooks.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:54 pm if i were in the market for one, my personal requirements are OGG Vorbis and FLAC support and FM radio tuner.
The lossless/high quality audio stuff isn't as important. One, he's going to be 8 years old. Two, I'm not entirely sure how the music is descrambled and put into his brain, but it won't be a perfect recreation anyway. Sound typically goes into the microphones he wears on his head and ears, then gets digitized in his processors and transferred to his implants where it is somehow translated into "sound" in his brain. Some people have described the sound as a bit digital/robotic. in this case, we're adding an extra step, in that there is a separate bluetooth receiver that will pick up the music and transfer it to his processors (until there is an eventual upgrade that will enable the built-in technology in his processors to connect to the bluetooth device directly). That said, it's still music and recognizable/enjoyable as such, and he likes music.
Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:01 am IMHO, instead of music, I'd check if your local library can lend audiobooks.
We may try this, but it's tricky, particularly during his rides to and from school. First, he won't be in control of when the book starts and stops, so it could end in the middle of a sentence or something, which would be confusing. Second, he's been known to knock his microphones off his head from turning his head back and forth, and until someone can reattach the microphone, he'd be missing whatever is being read (since they're not active unless the connection is being made with the microphones attached).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:46 pm he's been known to knock his microphones off his head from turning his head back and forth, and until someone can reattach the microphone, he'd be missing whatever is being read (since they're not active unless the connection is being made with the microphones attached).
Hmmm... There are players that will automatically pause if you pull the plug out? I am not familiar with assistive technology so I don't know about this microphone thingie.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:46 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:54 pm if i were in the market for one, my personal requirements are OGG Vorbis and FLAC support and FM radio tuner.
The lossless/high quality audio stuff isn't as important.
i should have further emphasized these were my requirements, not anyone else's. not sure why i posted that here in the first place. {bowing out of thread}
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:43 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:46 pm
The lossless/high quality audio stuff isn't as important.
i should have further emphasized these were my requirements, not anyone else's. not sure why i posted that here in the first place. {bowing out of thread}
That made me chuckle. Of course, anyone is more the welcome to jump into the topic to discuss their preferences and to add questions and comments that may not be directly related to my initial question.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Could use any obsolete phone. Even an iPhone 4 or Android ice cream sandwich era.
words
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Montag wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:12 am Could use any obsolete phone. Even an iPhone 4 or Android ice cream sandwich era.
My concerns with those are battery life (older phones tend to die pretty quickly in my experience) and simplicity. While it really should be easy to repurpose a phone as you suggest (and it was something I considered), I really want to make the process of starting things up as idiot-proof as possible.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If you remove the sim and put it in airplane mode, it should last all day. But you may need to try one, maybe download something that will implement "kid mode" or something similar.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I went with the Timmy model suggested above - seems like the best mix of price, features, and reviews.