Pulling HDMI cable

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Pulling HDMI cable

Post by AWS260 »

Our conference room has an old-ass VGA cable coming out of the conference table. It runs below the floor and comes out next to the TV on the wall.

I'd like to replace it with an HDMI cable, since most laptops no longer use VGA connectors.

Can I just tie an HDMI cable to the existing VGA cable and pull that through whatever channel is below the floor? Or is that a bad idea? I have zero experience running any kind of cable through anything.
gilraen

Re: Pulling HDMI cable

Post by gilraen »

I don't think it's going to hurt the cable - those things are fairly durable - so as long as it doesn't get stuck, you're probably fine.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I also have no experience, but I think if I were going to try that, I'd make sure I lashed them together side by side so that they could be pulled as a single cable with no ends sticking out to snag on things.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:08 pm I also have no experience, but I think if I were going to try that, I'd make sure I lashed them together side by side so that they could be pulled as a single cable with no ends sticking out to snag on things.
Yeah, I'd go with duct tape myself, to ensure the cables and connectors are kept nice and snug.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I'd also add some rope/heavy duty string so you could pull another cable in the future if needed.
Just keep in mind, some setups like that may have been done while the walls were open.
Try giving the vga cable some pulls to see how freely it moves.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll probably give it a try in the next week or two.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

You might try using a flat ribbon type HDMI cable to make it easier -- the problem with VGA is that big end, it can get hung up on other cables in the conduit that goes between spots. Give it a shot, just don't tell anyone what you're doing until it's a success -- if it gets stuck halfway through, leg it and blame the IT guy (it's a network problem).
No.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:08 pm I also have no experience, but I think if I were going to try that, I'd make sure I lashed them together side by side so that they could be pulled as a single cable with no ends sticking out to snag on things.
This is the most important tip in life. Whatever can snag will snag. I don't know how many times I've uttered that last sentence but I've pulled a lot of cable in my life. You wouldn't believe what you can snag on in and outside conduit. Definitely tape it smooth but use as little tape and minimize the diameter as you won't know how small the passage can get until you try it. Also tie a string on so you can pull it back towards the start if you get stuck. Sometimes you need to pull cable back and forth or even side to side to work it through.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Do you, or anyone you are close to, own a ferret?
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

As a former ferret owner, I applaud your suggestion.

:clap:
-mf
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Make sure it's UL3 certified if you are running it in walls/floors/ceilings (if you care about possible building code violations, natch). Monoprice has UL3 certified HDMI cables at a good price.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.