Reminder: please use the Amazon affiliate links to help us keep the lights on!

Not exactly computing, but more of GPDR compliance bullshit

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang » Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 pm

I operate a couple blogs, and with all the bruhaha over GPDR (somebody sued Google for, what? 8 billion?) I thought I'd look into it.

After reading through about 10 articles, I can conclude this is just the most bull**** nanny-state piece of legislation I've seen. Basically, European Union wants to "help" their citizens stay secure online by making practically speaking, EVERY website in the world (from the lowliest blog to giants like Google and Amazon) to specify EVERY BIT of data they gathered on the individual, WHY the website need it, and how can the user purge it if he ever wanted to.

My blog has no membership, just ads from Adsense and Amazon, (and Google Analytics) but my "updated privacy policy" still came out to be 2800 words.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have!

Jag
Away

Re: Not exactly computing, but more of GPDR compliance bullshit

Post by Jag » Thu May 31, 2018 8:59 am

It's definitely extreme, but companies have been so fast and loose with people's information for so long, it's not a bad thing that they are updating privacy policies and restricting use of personally identifiable information. We are doing GDPR compliance internally and it's a pain in the ass. The reason it is so serious is that a single penalty can be 2% of revenue. There are legions of people just waiting to push the lawsuit button and reap the rewards from non-compliance.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk » Thu May 31, 2018 9:26 am

Wondered why Ive been getting a lot of updated agreements to look at in my emails.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:59 am

Why do you collect user information on a blog with no members? If you are accepting ad money, then that's your choice. Anyway, 2% of 0 = 0.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:27 am

I don't. But comments contain user data too. And if they send me any email... AND I have to tell them to go to Adsense or Amazon or such if they want to erase those preferences. Dot the i's and cross the t's and all that.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have!