Internal Company Wiki Suggestions?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Internal Company Wiki Suggestions?

Post by Sudy »

I want to set up an internal company wiki for procedural guides and documentation. Basically, I want to stop maintaining dozens of Word files and PDFs in shared network folders. While I'm slightly technically inclined, I'm not I.T. and I have zero experience in these matters. I've done some searches, but there are tons of options.

Does anyone have insight into what would be the simplest option for a smaller company, bearing in mind it will be internal access only? I'll be administrating the wiki itself, but will be relying upon I.T. to do the setup.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
gilraen

Re: Internal Company Wiki Suggestions?

Post by gilraen »

I used TikiWiki in the past, when I was on a tech support team of about 10 people, and we transferred a bunch of technical documentation onto this site to build a knowledge base. It's definitely pretty simple to use.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Microsoft Sharepoint? Not sure if it's expensive, but it would make it so everyone can maintain their own documents.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

What about the software Wikipedia itself uses? It's completely free to use and seems to have become the standard among wikis:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Was going to suggest MediaWiki myself.

There are smaller implementations that can even go serverless (just Javascript files) but not sure if that's multi-user friendly.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds