Cant log into router

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Cant log into router

Post by Daehawk »

This thing is driving me crazy. Since formatting my wireless printer wont work because its not connected. I know the password but its not working. When I go to the router to set it up or at least look at it I cannot log into it. admin/admin is what it should default to but nothing. Ive tried the real info and Ive tried user/user....nothing works.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Re: Cant log into router

Post by Daehawk »

Wait I didn't install printer software after format. thats most likely it. Hope it works.

Also doesn't help with the dang router login and security settings. Im hoping it is ok or all my neighbors can get free internet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Printer working...router no idea on login .
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Step 1. Reset your router admin password.
Step 2. Change the admin password to a more secure passphrase, and start using a reliable passphrase manager -- like KeePass -- to securely store all of your usernames and passphrases.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:56 am start using a reliable passphrase manager -- like KeePass -- to securely store all of your usernames and passphrases.
Or use an encrypted text file to store site info and passwords. That's what I do. I keep them in an encrypted text file on an encrypted drive.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Anonymous Bosch

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:29 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:56 am start using a reliable passphrase manager -- like KeePass -- to securely store all of your usernames and passphrases.
Or use an encrypted text file to store site info and passwords. That's what I do. I keep them in an encrypted text file on an encrypted drive.
That'd work too, but it's not as secure as a proper passphrase manager. By using a text file, you lose the ability to generate random passphrases at the click of a button, which potentially means you'll tend towards weaker passphrases from the lack of convenience. One of the primary benefits of using a passphrase manager is the generation of long, truly random passphrases.

You also don't get as much assurance that your decrypted data isn't written to disk. Most decent text editors store recent changes periodically to disk. Passphrase managers tend to be very careful to keep decrypted passphrases in memory, and typically include additional security measures that help protect against keyloggers and malware.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Plus if you lose that encryped disk, you lose all your logins/passwords.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:30 pm Plus if you lose that encryped disk, you lose all your logins/passwords.
It’s a virtual drive so it can be copied and backed up, but I think I’ll check out Keepass too. Do you need to be online for Keepass to work?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Anonymous Bosch

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:35 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:30 pm Plus if you lose that encryped disk, you lose all your logins/passwords.
It’s a virtual drive so it can be copied and backed up, but I think I’ll check out Keepass too. Do you need to be online for Keepass to work?
No, KeePass works offline.

Of course, you can always store your encrypted KeePass database file on a cloud service like Dropbox or Tresorit if you prefer (and there are plugins for it that help facilitate that).
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the information, I don’t know where I got the idea that you had to be online for it to work.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:56 am This thing is driving me crazy. Since formatting my wireless printer wont work because its not connected. I know the password but its not working. When I go to the router to set it up or at least look at it I cannot log into it. admin/admin is what it should default to but nothing. Ive tried the real info and Ive tried user/user....nothing works.
passwords are definitely case-sensitive, in many cases user names are too. You may need to use Admin with a capital A
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That site is totally awesome. I was able to get into Daehawk's router no problem. Thanks!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:08 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:56 am This thing is driving me crazy. Since formatting my wireless printer wont work because its not connected. I know the password but its not working. When I go to the router to set it up or at least look at it I cannot log into it. admin/admin is what it should default to but nothing. Ive tried the real info and Ive tried user/user....nothing works.
passwords are definitely case-sensitive, in many cases user names are too. You may need to use Admin with a capital A
I found thats why the printer couldn't connect. One cap or non cap letter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For now other than a reboot Im going to leave it alone. See we had a power outage the other week. Before that my speed when tested was always above 100..always. Now its reached 100 once and the rest are 90 and down to 70. Ive rebooted a few times. I was worried someone else was using my router to go online. But trying to connect my printer proves it requires the right password. So its safe. But Id still like to log into my router to see the logs.

The only way to do that I see if a full reset. And thanks for all the links......but to do that means I have to reset EVERY item in the house that uses the router...which is anything wireless of course. So waiting.

On a side note Id like to say WTF. I walk two rooms away to my bathroom and my tablet cant get a signal hardly yet I can pick up 5 or so other routers around me. And they are a full home and yard away!!
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:52 pm On a side note Id like to say WTF. I walk two rooms away to my bathroom and my tablet cant get a signal hardly yet I can pick up 5 or so other routers around me. And they are a full home and yard away!!
Once you're able to log in to your router again, spend some time on how to find the best wi-fi channel for your router, and see if you can switch it to something less congested.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to have it around 12 but now its defaulted to 1. But it is ok as it seems people around me are all over the place. I find it funny how most are just the default name like Spectrumtv and such. There are a couple with unique names like me.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:52 pm For now other than a reboot Im going to leave it alone. See we had a power outage the other week. Before that my speed when tested was always above 100..always. Now its reached 100 once and the rest are 90 and down to 70. Ive rebooted a few times. I was worried someone else was using my router to go online. But trying to connect my printer proves it requires the right password. So its safe. But Id still like to log into my router to see the logs.

The only way to do that I see if a full reset. And thanks for all the links......but to do that means I have to reset EVERY item in the house that uses the router...which is anything wireless of course. So waiting.

On a side note Id like to say WTF. I walk two rooms away to my bathroom and my tablet cant get a signal hardly yet I can pick up 5 or so other routers around me. And they are a full home and yard away!!
Why not just configure the same security password when you reset your router?