Office 2019

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Office 2019

Post by Isgrimnur »

TechCrunch
Microsoft released Office 2019 for Windows and macOS this week, the latest version of its regular, non-subscription productivity suite. It’s the kind of Office that, 10 years ago, you would’ve bought in a shrink-wrapped package at Office Depot. But it’s really not the version of Office that Microsoft would like you to buy — or that you probably want to have. That’s because at this point, Office 2019 is basically a limited version that doesn’t include the most interesting new features of its Office 365 subscription counterpart.
Back when Microsoft launched Office 2016, those releases were essentially snapshots (“carbon copies,” [Microsoft’s corporate VP for Office and Windows Jared] Spataro called them) of the regularly updated Office 365 versions, which get monthly updates and feature releases. For the first time now, the on-premises version of Office only provides a subset of the full functionality, with a lot of missing functionality, because virtually all of the most interesting new features — including all the machine learning smarts that are now rolling out to Office 365 — will be missing from Office 2019.

“I think there will be some confusion,” Spataro acknowledged. “It’ll take us some time to train people that the year number doesn’t mean it’s the best version.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Re: Office 2019

Post by RunningMn9 »

If only there was a way for them to avoid that confusion caused by their naming conventions. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Our solution was simple, we switched to G Suite... you know, except for excel because... excel.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm using OpenOffice on my gaming PC, where I only need lightweight document management. It's adequate, but it has trouble with some Excel files. I still use Office 2007 on my business laptop. Someday MS will nerf it and I'll have to pony up for Office 365...or Office 20xx, I suppose. I'd rather buy a program once and use it forever than subscribe to it and pay forever, and I don't need (or want) bells and whistles like machine learning.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unless OpenOffice has come a long way since I last tried it, GoogleDocs, Sheets etc is much much better and intuitive fwiw.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'd rather not give Google access to my personal documents. I do use that when a client specifies it.